I blew my GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I blew my GMAT

by KJ_villain » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 pm
Hi, Although I must admit, I did not prepare for very long, I had practised a lot in the last 10 days, and was consistently scoring a 750-780 in MGMAT/GMAT prep and all other practice test.

However, I blew my test on the D-Day.I was too slow and hed to guess through some of the questions, bringing my score down. I got a 740 finally. I am extremely disappointed. I want to apply to the top 5 schools only (HBS, Stan, Booth, Warton, Columbia).
Can some one please advice if I should give the test again?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:17 pm
I don't think that you deserve to get throught the top 5 if you feel that 740 is a pathetic score and if you're "extremely disappointed" with this score. This indicates that either a) you don't have any freakin' idea about what all is needed to get through the top schools & what are their average GMAT scores or b) you are simply naive or c) you'd not be able to handle the setbacks during/post MBA.

I must congratulate you on your score but must admit that this is the silliest post I have seen on BTG in the last one year. As a moderator here, I'm very polite and helping to the members and this is for the first time that I have been rude to anyone. Please do not get offended by what I wrote; take this criticism as a wake up call!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:49 am
Posts such as these really hurt people the most !!
These kinda posts literally bring down the confidence of those scoring in early 600s...People start thinking what am I doing with these 600 scores ??

Please do not post such stuff over here...

Extremely disappointed after 740.. wanna Retake... If you want to have a job in Mgmat or Kaplan.. please retake it and score 770....

@Rishi Raj.. Well put and this kinda post from Moderator was required !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 am
Hi kj,

Congrats on the great score. I can understand your frustration, but people here are not liking the intention behind your post. This being your one and only post is not helping your cause. Why don't you post about how a 10 day prep brought you an awesome 740 and shed some light on what mistakes you did in the exam etc.

Also, there is no such score as a score that can get you to top 5 schools. A score around the average of your target school is more than enough. In my personal opinion, GMAT score doesnt matter much in top 5 schools. Your intellect, accomplishments, personality, leadership skills are the most important things. You will find many people with awesome scores getting dinged from the top schools all too often.

Infact this could be a great learning experience for you. Now you can see how people tend to think differently and why communication is very important. Don't try to brag about your GMAT experience in the essays.

All the best with the app process.
My journey towards the MBA: https://theroadlesstravellled.blocked/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GoBlue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 pm
Congratulations on your score.. The title in your post completely threw me off and I can see how it can come out as sarcastic. I know at least 4 of my buddies who are in top 5 mba programs with scores ranging from 680 - 720. That being said, I think that you should focus on other aspects of your app and you should be good to go.