Virginity

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

Virginity

by GmatKiss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:08 am
One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because school vacations give adolescents more free time.

(A) One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because

(B) If young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other seasons, it is undoubtedly because

(C) One undoubtable reason that young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other times is

(D) One reason more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year is undoubtedly that

(E) Young people lose their virginity more often during the summer undoubtedly because, for one reason,

OA after some discussion!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sunilrawat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:48 am
My pick, D
GmatKiss wrote:One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because school vacations give adolescents more free time.

(A) One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because Here usage of because is redundant

(B) If young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other seasons, it is undoubtedly because This changes the meaning by making the situation conditional

(C) One undoubtable reason that young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other times is It would mean that people are losing virginity more than once

(D) One reason more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year is undoubtedly that No redundancy, no change in meaning

(E) Young people lose their virginity more often during the summer undoubtedly because, for one reason, usage of reason is redundant, change in meaning

OA please.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rohit_gmat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:41 am
Agree with sunilrawat...
B, C, E has "lose their virginity more" where "more" is not referring to people..
A uses "because" which feels redundant with "one reason why"... also i think "undoubtedly" is not modifying the right word and it should instead be "is undoubtedly" ...

OA? Official Explanation?

Legendary Member

by GmatKiss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:59 am
OA is D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sungoal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm
Except from the use of redundant "because", is there any other error in option A?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 am
GmatKiss wrote:One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because school vacations give adolescents more free time.

(A) One reason why more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year undoubtedly is because

(B) If young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other seasons, it is undoubtedly because

(C) One undoubtable reason that young people lose their virginity more during the summer than other times is

(D) One reason more young people lose their virginity during the summer than at other times of the year is undoubtedly that

(E) Young people lose their virginity more often during the summer undoubtedly because, for one reason,

I received a PM requesting that I identify other errors in A and the function of undoubtedly in D.

In A, reason why and reason...because are both errors of redundancy. Also, is + because is grammatically incorrect. In the construction X is Y, Y must be a NOUN (as in Mary is a DOCTOR) or an ADJECTIVE (as in Mary is HAPPY). Because introduces an ADVERBIAL modifier; we cannot say that X is an ADVERB. Eliminate A.

In B, C and E, more during the summer seems to imply that young people are able to lose their virginity more than once. Eliminate B, C and E.

The correct answer is D.

In D, undoubtedly as an adverb modifying is.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sungoal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 am
Mitch, Could you share another example in which adverb is modifying the linking verb?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 am
sungoal wrote:Mitch, Could you share another example in which adverb is modifying the linking verb?
Holding a stethoscope and wearing a white jacket, Mary is CLEARLY a doctor.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sungoal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:58 am
Isn't "clearly" modifying the adjective "the best" here?

How can we identify whether the adverb is modifying the linking verb?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 am
sungoal wrote:Isn't "clearly" modifying the adjective "the best" here?

How can we identify whether the adverb is modifying the linking verb?
Please check my amended post above, from which I removed the best.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sungoal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:39 am
Mitch, we identify the adverb if it answers the question "why, when, where , how or how much"?

But I am not able to apply this rule to "Marry is clearly a doctor".

Is there any other rule for identifying adverbs in case of linking verbs?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:02 am
sungoal wrote:Mitch, we identify the adverb if it answers the question "why, when, where , how or how much"?

But I am not able to apply this rule to "Marry is clearly a doctor".

Is there any other rule for identifying adverbs in case of linking verbs?
HOW is Mary a doctor? She CLEARLY is a doctor. Clearly is an adverb describing Mary's state of being.

We must remember that a linking verb such as IS indicates a state of being:

Mary is clearly the best doctor in the hospital.

In the sentence above, clearly describes how Mary IS THE BEST. Whether clearly modifies the verb (is) or the adjective (the best) is splitting hairs: both the verb and the adjective indicate Mary's state of being.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by GmatKiss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 am
Thanks a lot Mitch :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 am
IMO D