Last Week Tips

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Last Week Tips

by nik_2011 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 pm
Hi all,
I am just 6 days away from the test. My mock test scores (in order) are as follows:

GMAT Prep : 680 (before starting preparation)
Kaplan : 660 , 750 , 680 , 730
MGMAT: : 680 , 710

Quant is a breeze but I'm weak in the Verbal section, especially SC. I have already done all SC exercises from OG. I have also finished the MGMAT book on SC. What else should I do ?
Also, I am uncomfortable with the analysis of Issue essay. Although, I have seen lots of samples on many websites, I still find it difficult to write a good essay.

Any last minute preparation tips would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 am
I will not recommend you to learn something new in the last week..rather practicing few ques and reviewing basics can be the key for you.

Keep yourself cam..have some fun while learning..dont take it very hard.

enjoy Your Gmat exam...
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am
With 6 days to go I would simply continu practicing all the sections of the multiple choice part of the exam - you can get the questions from the Verbal book written by GMAC if you need more SC questions.

As far as the analysis of an issue essay - you should be clear on the structure you want your essay to take. The graders are looking for a 5 - 6 paragraph essay with clear examples and topic sentences, and introduction and a conclusion. It is possible to get a high score without these things however if your essay has these elements execited with minimal grammar mistakes and a clear theme it is more likely you will achieve the score you are looking for.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 am
Does a unofficial score changes with the essays in the official score...?
Don't look for the incorrect things that you have done rather look for remedies....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/motivation-t90253.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 am
When you say "finished" the OG and MGMAT SC, do you mean just did all the questions once?

Since SC is a challenge for you I would do a few things:

1. Write out your step-by-step approach for SC's -- what is your methodical process for when you CAN spot and error, and for when you CAN'T? What is your foolproof strategy?

2. Make an Error Log for all your incorrect SC's -- focus on WHY you got them wrong? Parse out the sentences so you are extremely familiar with the constructions. The official test questions will be repeated concepts.

2. List out ALL the types of SC errors -- go back through and label all the questions. Pick 3 that you still feel "fuzzy" on and read all the GMAT blog posts with that skill tag here on Beat the GMAT.

3. Print out and use the Beat the GMAT flashcards to refresh between now and test day. And check out the grammar notes in the Resources section.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)