I need help - - - "HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM"

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I gave my first and the only attempt so far in 2008 and ended up with a score of 430 ... dont clearly remember the break I think q=23 and v=9. Obviously somethings really wrong with Verbal. Anyways I was about to give Gmat last year but unfortunately a Business trip sort of saved me from a Shoddy attempt at GMAT. I am sure that I would not have crossed 600.
This time around however I am very serious. My work schedule is hectic yes but I guess I dont have a choice this time around. For me its a DO or Die. So I need help. For Starters:-
1. Perfect Schedule. I am planning the GMAT before the year end. Will be taking the date in another 2 weeks.
2. I have MGMAT books and OG. How to use these effective. Want to gain the max.
3. I am a 7 out of 10 in Quant and I need to go upto 9 out of 10 atleast (10 out of 10 is my dream target)
4. In a perfect world Verbal would be atleast 8 out of 10 but in GMAT world its a dismal 3 out of 10 so the question now is how to take it up.
So yeah my situation is like Tom Hanks's in Appollo 13. Need to land safely and return home.
oh btw I have sort of started with MGMAT. I am maintaining a track of how I am fairing up on each chapter under each book.

Any help is welcome.

Rgds,
Deependra

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm
Just do a math refresher from Nova or any similar book and do the diagnostic from OG OR GMAT prep1 seriously. Analyze the exam carefully and decide your strong and weak areas and then decide how much time to allocate on each topic.

Decide your target colleges, and basing on that decide your target score and as you know your current level you can then decide how much time you need to take GMAT. It is generally two to three months basing on how much time you spent(average 3-4 hours a day). You can go through ample number of study plans given in this site (under self study tab).

DON'T do OG now. First go through Manhattan topic by topic and master them - both accurately and consistently. And Now do the either diagnostic or GMAT prep1(basing on what you took in the begining) and see how it goes. Analyze the mock and follow the same process mentioned above.

Ideally you should be familiar with the entire content one month before the exam. Last one month you should keep on taking mocks and analyzing them to fill the gaps in your understanding.

Please note that I haven't yet taken the GMAT so just analyze what I said and what others will be saying on this topic, and then take a call on what to do.

HTH,
Prodizy

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Deependra1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:31 am
Thanks Prodizy for a start this suits me.

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am
Hey Deependra1,

What you have written in the above comment is a run on sentence - two independent clauses not connected properly :P Sorry, writing this comment to remember the rules about on sentences :)

Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am
You have good resources , just study them well and stick to basics.

Also give yourself plenty of time to absorb new techniques and strategies, check yourself periodically by full lent mock tests.

Best of luck

chaw

Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm
Hello Deependra

firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and that would take you less than 2-3 months. It all depends on your potential really.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at [email protected]