Does a lower second GMAT score really not matter?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I've seen this topic brought up before, but haven't seen quite the exact answer. If one has a relatively high score on the first attempt, is there much risk in re-taking the GMAT in terms of the subjective quality of one's school application? Technically, it's been said over and over and over again, schools take the highest score... but how does it work in reality in the eyes of admissions? It's also been repeated that a 30-point deviation is expected: so if you score 700 the first time around and 670 the second time, wouldn't that weigh your "true" score in the eyes of the reviewer below 700? Everyone is supposed to be objective and follow established algorithms, but we're all only human--including admissions officers...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am
i think lower second GMAT does matter.
When people retake the GMAT, atleast 30+ original score is considered good.
So a decrease in score, will only make it worse.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am
Hi Akovalev,

I think you're on to something here, but I would add that taking the test a second time after scoring a 700 and then doing worse may raise questions of the AdCom such as, "Did he focus more on his test than his essays?" "Does he understand the importance of the entire application--or is he just grasping for a few more points?" It could end up with even the slightest increased scrutiny of your essays to see if you skimped there in favor of getting a higher score. I'm not saying any of that will happen, but those are the subtle psychological things I could see happening.

Officially - the AdCom takes the higher score. Unofficially, I would be wondering if you used your time as well as you could have--especially if your essays don't blow me away.

But then again, I'm highly biased toward applicants working on their essays over reaching for ever-higher GMAT scores. I've had clients get into schools with low GMAT scores and stellar essays but I don't know anyone with a situation that is the reverse (outstanding GMAT scores and mediocre essays).

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akovalev » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 am
Thanks for the insight, Kaneisha! If anyone would like to second that, or disagree, it would be greatly appreciated.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm
I don't want to say this but... I think that if some candidates get a 700.. they MAY need to retake it. It's definitely on a case by case basis, but there are some instances.

Do I think that a lower second GMAT not really matter? meh... depends on how low. If you get a 690 and then get a 680 it most likely will not matter. If you get a 690 and then a 540 and then another 560 then hhmm yeah... maybe so.

I will tell you that I got my lowest Verbal score on my last exam and still ended up prevailing. Actually the third time I took the exam was my 2nd highest score. The 2nd time I took it was my highest combined score.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by siddaggarwal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 am
Guys this discussion is bothering me. Please help with my situation. Got interested in the GMAT in March 2009....but started studying for it in May/June 2009.....got burned out in August 2009...and then on and off studied hard and NOT hard for about 9 months....then finally in June 2010 I decided I have to take it....so I took it
July 22, 2010-got a 620; was disappointed (wanted a 660 or higher) but happy that it was good enough for Tier 3 schools.
then studied very hard but didn't take enough practice exams. So I forced myself to believe I was ready and buried myself under pressure.
October 2010-600....lower score...felt like giving up. Most people told me either give up or take it but realize that a third test is my "last chance"

Jan/Feb 2011-After months of studying...took a 3 week break to Paris and India (to see family). Didn't touch any books and thought it was a good idea (a BAD good idea lol) that might reap results. Came back from my trip refreshed and focused on one GOAL...the GMAT......

Worked and studied from Feb 2011-May 9, 2011

May 9, 2011-

710 49 Q; 38 V

Please tell me if my score will be hurt by my previous tests last year?

I'm a 2008 UT Dallas undergrad...current High School Science/Math Teacher and Part-time Computer repair and sales person.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Hi Sidd,

Don't be too bothered by this discussion thread. You have a very good GMAT score for your third time around and it won't be dragged down or overshadowed by your prior attempts. Congrats on getting to a score you're happy with and for being an educator! I always feel happy when I see educators going to business school.

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

GMAT Score:710

by siddaggarwal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:24 pm
Thank you ma'am. Part of the reason I'm considering business school is because too many educators end up doing a Masters in Education where financial management is also key to providing an excellent future for students, teachers, and districts. The job market is so tough that even in teaching for science and math jobs, there are few vacancies and few opportunities for fresher and less experienced (But still equally qualifed) teachers such as myself. Thus I have to pursue what's best for me and go to school which I am delaying from Fall 2011 to Fall 2012 in attempts to bolster my applications and credentials for Fall 2012.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hzone.iitian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 pm
Hi,
Unfortunately I have a similar story. Please advise if i need to retake GMAT.
Aug -2009 - GMAT 680 (Q49, V 35 or something in that line)
July- 2012 - GMAT 580 (Q50, V 18) - I felt verbal was very hard, though i may have got ditracted by drilling sound next door.

During my preparation of second time, I never scored less than 710 (with verbal as high as 40)

By next year, I will have seven years of resonable work experience. My B.Tech school is among top 5 in India, however my GPA is 7.1/10 (dont exactly know how to convert it 4 scale.

Please suggest - Should I retake GMAT in next month? I plan to apply in top 10 college only.

If yes, which GMAT verbal book would be worth reading, considering one of the hardest verbal i saw in 2012, specially SC. (please avoid Manhatten, I have done enough.

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions!
Hitendra

Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:26 am
Contrary to popular belief, the adcom actually does see every score from your attempts on the GMAT if you use the service to have the score officially submitted to the same school (make sense?). Many schools will say they only "consider" your top score, but the reality is that if you've submitted your scores to that school using the GMAT service, the adcom reader will see every single one of them. And while they will focus on your top score (and that's the one that is used for reporting purposes), the reality is they are human and can't help but be influenced if they see multiple attempts at the GMAT with one applicant vs. a fewer number of attempts with a different applicant.

I wrote this article re: retaking the GMAT and maybe it will be helpful for ya: https://www.thefirstread.com/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

with that said, as long as you're within a reasonable band in your GMAT attempts, you won't be dinged for taking it more than once. the reality too is that most GMAT attempts actually do end-up within the same range. once you've reached a certain potential score on the GMAT, my observation has been that it's pretty hard to improve the score substantially. meaning, you can get from 590 to 670 pretty well just by practicing the test, learning some tricks, and getting familiar, but once you hit that 670, it gets very difficult to increase it another 60 to 70 points. i suspect it's due to the way the test is actually designed to work.

as mentioned earlier, it's a much better use of your time to perfect your essays than perfect your GMAT score. if you need to make a tradeoff b/t the two, that's how i'd do it.

hope that's helpful,
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 am
I would also suggest not to fret too much on perfecting GMAT score and spend time in perfecting your essays.Trust me, essays take much longer time than most candidates think of.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Desai777 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:42 am
Hello Everyone,

I have a similar doubt. I had taken the GMAT for the first time on March 22nd. Got a 670. Decided to study thoroughly and planned to take it again today. I was getting 710 on my mocks.
Today got just a 580. I am devastated. Don't know how can it be so slow. I don't think it went that bad that I'd score just so low. I am extremely sad and dejected. Don't know what to do. Does this mean my 670 wont be a good score anymore? I wanted to apply for ISB Hyderabad R1 and was thus rushing but this score has got me down completely. Please reply and let me know what this means? Please be realistic, hope its not all over.
Thank You.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am
Youngjames' point is valid. Schools do see all your scores - IF - you send them an official report. However, if you didn't, then they may ask how many times you took it, and then you self report your highest score. You don't have to send them an official report unless you're admitted.

If you did, however, send an official score report, then this becomes something you need to address in the optional essay in a delicate way. Perhaps discuss briefly why you think you did poorly and then reiterate strengths in your applications to make sure it seems like the outlier it is.

@Desai777, no, your 670 isn't invalidated by your 580. You need to address this and make sure the adcoms have NO doubts in their minds about your academic and intellectual capabilities, but your 670 is still the highest score and, as such, counts. Did you send your 580 to ISB Hyderabad? If not, then you should be fine and if you did, then it's time to get down the brass tax of messaging.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!