Full Length CAT Strategy - 2.5 Weeks From GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have been reading the site and forums for the past few months as I have prepared for the GMAT. I have really enjoyed learning and sharing in both the success stories and frustration.

Anyway, I'll get to the question. So far, I have taken the following exams in the order I have taken them:
GMATPrep CAT 1: 660 (Q 40, V 41)
Kaplan CAT 3: 680 (Q 49, V 33)

Overall, I was shocked at the score deltas. Throughout my prep, I felt as if Verbal was my strength, as indicated in the first test and my subsequent prep of hard questions from the OG. However, I have read that Kaplan CATs are a little easier in math and more difficult in Verbal which could explain the difference.

As my test date draws near, I want to determine which CAT Tests would be best to take given my circumstances. I have the opportunity to take 2 full length practice tests before the exam. So, what CAT exams from the list below would be most beneficial to take and review prior to my test?
GMATPrep CAT I (Re-Take)
GMATPrep CAT II
MGMAT Free CAT
One of the other Kaplan CATs

(Note: I would like to be in the 680-720 range at the end of the day. I am applying for FT FY12 so I am trying to get ahead. Any advice would be helpful.)

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:36 am
GMAT prep is the best source.
Also you can retake GMAT prep 5-6 times without much repetition.
All the best :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by braggpd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 am
How many repeat questions can I expect to see(5-10 per section or less)?

Also, what is the easiest way to search for answer explanations? I used the forums before but had a hard time locating some of the questions.

Finally, how important is practicing the essays during the full length exam? So far, I skipped those as I feel more comfortable with those sections based on my writing ability.

Thanks for the response.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 am
I have no idea about percentage of repetition. But read in a post by expert that it is pretty low.
Also if you can't find the answer explanations, you can post it in forum again, and I am sure you will find a nice explanation.
Practicing essays even if you are comfortable with writing is very important.
First of all you it makes you prepare for the 4 hour test.
Without essays, you practice only for 3 hours, and during exam you can fatigue.
Essays are necessary to maintain stamina.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by wayofjungle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am
I agree that taking the essays are important in your practice tests. For finding solution explanations you should have trouble if you phrase a part of the question in google. I would be surprised if all the OG problems didnt have solutions on one forum or another. I have resurrected several year old posts on the BTG from doing this. I found the Kaplan tests unrepresentative in content (this may be a self-fulfilling bias), but quite similar to other practice tests in scoring.