Knewton EXCEPT 1

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Knewton EXCEPT 1

by itsmebharat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 am
In 1886, the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh began to exhibit simple, elegant lines and vivid colors. Art historians explain this change as the incorporation of another culture's artistic tradition and argue on this basis that Van Gogh became interested in Japanese art at this time.

Each of the following, if true, provides some support for the art historians' account described above EXCEPT:
(A) Black contours typical of Japanese Yamato-e paintings appear in Van Gogh's work from 1886 on but at no earlier time.
(B) Van Gogh's notebooks dating from the inception of his art career until 1885 contain hundreds of sketches for paintings, none of which exhibit the style distinctive to Japanese artwork.
(C) A thriving market for Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints existed in Paris, where Van Gogh settled in early 1886.
(D) Bridge in the Rain, which Van Gogh painted in 1885, exhibited striking similarities to Sudden Rain at Ohashi Bridge by Japanese print master Hiroshige.
(E) Some of Van Gogh's sketches were drawn using a reed shaped into a quill, a traditional Japanese instrument Van Gogh began to use in 1886.

OA D
I am not an Expert, please feel free to suggest if there is an error.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:46 am
D uses the year 1885, whereas the stimulus talks about 1886. so this must be odd one out.
but this question tests numbers (years) rather than any logic/thought.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:46 am
IMO D
talks about 1885...
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:660

by irock » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:48 am
IMO D

Though all the options try to bring some similarity between Van Gogh and Japanese art, option D only draws the correct similarity between Van Gogh's painting and Japanese painting, which helps the historian to explain that "Van Gogh became interested in Japanese art at this time".
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit - Aristotle.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 am
Van Gogh's paintings depicted the style in 1885 whereas historians talk about 1886.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:41 am
In 1886, the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh began to exhibit simple, elegant lines and vivid colors. Art historians explain this change as the incorporation of another culture's artistic tradition and argue on this basis that Van Gogh became interested in Japanese art at this time.

Each of the following, if true, provides some support for the art historians' account described above EXCEPT:
(A) Black contours typical of Japanese Yamato-e paintings appear in Van Gogh's work from 1886 on but at no earlier time.
(B) Van Gogh's notebooks dating from the inception of his art career until 1885 contain hundreds of sketches for paintings, none of which exhibit the style distinctive to Japanese artwork.
(C) A thriving market for Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints existed in Paris, where Van Gogh settled in early 1886.
(D) Bridge in the Rain, which Van Gogh painted in 1885, exhibited striking similarities to Sudden Rain at Ohashi Bridge by Japanese print master Hiroshige.
(E) Some of Van Gogh's sketches were drawn using a reed shaped into a quill, a traditional Japanese instrument Van Gogh began to use in 1886.

According to me, whatever the option D says but it says some correlation between Japanese Art and Van Gogh's sketches. But we can go for option B, which shows signs of no correlation between the two. Except questions represent this thing. Can anybody please explain B and D