Got a 700...did I beat the GMAT?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Got a 700...did I beat the GMAT?

by chipichape » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:54 am
Hello All,
New here, just found out about this site and wish i would have found it before!!! But anyway, got a 700 (92 percentile) yesterday...What does this mean? Is this a good score?
I know it is the average at harvard...and that is what i told my Mom HAHA
Give me some feedback guys, should i take it again?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Got a 700...did I beat the GMAT?

by beatthegmat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:42 pm
chipichape wrote:Hello All,
New here, just found out about this site and wish i would have found it before!!! But anyway, got a 700 (92 percentile) yesterday...What does this mean? Is this a good score?
Give me some feedback guys, should i take it again?
A 700 is a great score! It is definitely competitive if you are planning admissions at a top MBA program.

I don't think it's worth your re-taking the GMAT, unless you are confident that you can score 40 or 50 more points the second time around.

There is an expected variance of about 30 points around your current GMAT score, meaning that on a given day you are expected to score between a 670-730 (with your score of 700).

The only compelling reason I can think of to re-take is if you need to compensate for a weak GPA or weak work experience. A higher GMAT can help there as well.

It's your decision, but bottom line--700 is great! Congrats!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:41 pm
The only compelling reason I can think of to re-take is if you need to compensate for a weak GPA or weak work experience. A higher GMAT can help there as well.
Actually a 740 won't help much versus a 700. (If they don't take you with a 700, they DON'T WANT YOU. A 750 won't help.)

A good reason to consider taking GMAT again if you have a high scaled score is if your sub scores are out of balance. (A V=45 & Q=34 - or the reverse - would call negative attention to your skill set.)
Ian Streicher

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Got a 700...did I beat the GMAT?

by kidderek » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:00 am
[quote="chipichape"]Hello All,
Give me some feedback guys, should i take it again?[/quote]

You beat the GMAT. Any score of 700+ is beating the gmat, at least 92% of the test-takers would agree. Great job!