Atypical Profile

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Atypical Profile

by youngandrestless » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 am
Hey Guys,

Iam sorry to bother you all with this. However, I have a wierd profile. I wonder if anybody can comment.

I have put things in chronological order because my work exp. is interspread between degrees. Also, I have tried to present more facts in order to paint a relatively detailed picture.

Nationality: Indian
Work Location: US
GMAT: 650 (Q=36,V=42)

Undergrad: Bachlor of Pharmacy, India- 4 year Degree-graduated with 1st class.- year 1998

Experience: 1year sales experience in Medical Device industry in India with a leading Multinational company. 1998-2000

Graduate Degree: Master of Science from a Tier II/III school in the US. GPA-3.4 - Finished 50+ credit hours including the whole series of Calc and Analytic Geometry and Differential equations, 16 hours of graduate level statistics along with core courses. Thesis involved mathamatical modelling and writing a simple software program (Had exposure to programming during undergrad)-Graduated 2003

Part-time work: Teaching Assistant while in Graduate School.

Leadership: Served as the President of Graduate Student Association. Was always active during undergrad co-ordinating events and served on editorial board for college magazine.

Experience: Worked 2 years at quassi-management level and 3 years as a Manager at a Pharmaceutical care delivery company (Fortune 50). Managed (including interviewing, hiring, coaching, diciplining of some)a team of 21 persons including ones from different countries in a very high stress zone. Also mentored summer interns.

Iam hopeful of getting good references from my bosses as I have done good work and Iam on good terms with them.

Current compensation level is higher than the stated outcomes of most of the top B.School graudates. I don't know how important this is,but may just be an extra piece of information going into the model.

Any thoughts - if I my profile fits for a top B-school. Iam more interested in international programs such as INSEAD.

Thankyou in advance

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 am
Given your relatively poor GPA compared to others in your pool, I would attempt to retake the GMAT to prove your academic ability. More evidence of community involvement (volunteer experience) may be good too.

Other than that, your work experiences and ECs look very strong. You would probably expect to have a chance at schools like INSEAD.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thankyou Jelt

by youngandrestless » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:10 pm
Thankyou Jelt,

Your feedback is very valuable. Iam already studying to improve my quant. I have done some community service that I did not post because it is too little. Iam anyways going to volunteer for some activites this year whether it improves my application or not.