SC Post 5 : Apr 1 [Really intresting ]

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

SC Post 5 : Apr 1 [Really intresting ]

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:23 am
One of Ronald Reagan's first acts as President was to rescind President Carter's directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.

(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 am
stuck betw A and C, cant proceed further.good one.

on second thoughts, X's directive tht Y be prohibited - choice A
x's directive prohibiting Y -- choice C
i will go wth C just on the basis tht it sounds better, may be someone else can give a grammatical approach, (assuming C is the OA)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by jaymw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 am
Please make sure you use the search function before posting questions. This one has been posted several times here already.

Please also refer to https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... t2126.html

Legendary Member

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:58 am
jaymw wrote:Please make sure you use the search function before posting questions. This one has been posted several times here already.

I am very well aware about the issue you have mentioned above , my intent of posting question was to invite fresh views about the SC and discussion about IDIOMS , we have been discussing idioms in some consecutive posts and adding to our knowlegde base .Simply surfing post doesnt add to the concept base , we need to make discussions .There is lot of material available on internet , we can just go through those links and materials , what is need of forum then ? Here we can discuss certain new doubts as well which are not discussed in the old posts , obviously taking reference of old posts as when required .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by jaymw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:09 am
jaymw wrote:
Please make sure you use the search function before posting questions. This one has been posted several times here already.

I am very well aware about the issue you have mentioned above , my intent of posting question was to invite fresh views about the SC and discussion about IDIOMS , we have been discussing idioms in some consecutive posts and adding to our knowlegde base .Simply surfing post doesnt add to the concept base , we need to make discussions .There is lot of material available on internet , we can just go through those links and materials , what is need of forum then ? Here we can discuss certain new doubts as well which are not discussed in the old posts , obviously taking reference of old posts as when required .
I agree that discussions are vital to the GMAT success of the people who contribute to them. Anyway, you could have just replied to an old topic, which would have brought it back up. I sometimes did this and it has always worked just fine. I'm saying this because when I check questions on this forum and when I use the search function to find the thread and 5 threads with 10 replies each come up then that really confuses me.
Last edited by jaymw on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 am
AIM GMAT wrote:One of Ronald Reagan's first acts as President was to rescind President Carter's directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.

(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries
IMO A

Correct idiom is PROHIBIT FROM..so C and D is out..also i did not like the way -ing form has been placed in the answer choices...

OP B uses a passive construction WAS BANNED
and E uses awkward BEING

A is in active voice and more clear...hence i think A

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:16 am
I agree with AIM to post the questions which are discussed earlier...as people like me are using this community from past 2 months only and its good that some tricky questions will be discussed again...even sometimes i come across some question where i got the rite answer but find some good learning so i post that question as i'm getting so much knowledge from this community so it feels good to contribute something to the community..

Legendary Member

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 am
OA C .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 am
AIM GMAT wrote:OA C .
Can u please mention the source and the OE if available

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am
atulmangal wrote:
AIM GMAT wrote:OA C .
Can u please mention the source and the OE if available
watch this link regarding this question, u can only say after that

WOW RON...you are amazing

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... t2126.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:09 pm
yes Atul well said. I read that post too.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm
SO X prohibits from Y is the correct idiom and we got to make sure that it makes sense unlike in this Q which reads: chemical prohibits from sale....

Fantastic takeaway!!
thanks evryone.

Legendary Member

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 pm
Super cool ... Final takeaway from Ron's quote :-
* you don't use "X is prohibited from ..." unless X is a person.
the chemical is prohibited from being sold --> wrong
chemical companies are prohibited from selling the chemical --> correct
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm
Moreover i like the discussion regarding the use of -ING form after COMMA and BEFORE COMMA...its a good post to revise that concept again...Ron is THE MASTER