Help on Extra Curriculars

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

Help on Extra Curriculars

by jerrykantrell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 am
I have heard time and time again, hence I realize the importance of extra curriculars in your B school application. I have been a guitarist sine college, have played many gigs, have a band now, and we record stuff at home. I however have no certificates to prove any of this. How do I convince the adcom that these claim of mine are authentic ? because for all they know, I could be pulling these things out of my @ss! what do I do ? Because being an IT engineer, this was one of my major stand-out points.

I feel like I am s*rewed. what do I do ?

Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:22 am
No certificates are necessary. Business schools don't verify such things, but they reserve the right to revoke admission at any time. So if, after admitting you, it becomes clear you were pulling stuff out of somewhere, that's exactly what they'll do.

As to how to capitalise on this, you would write about them in your essays and talk about them in your interview if they are really that important. Alternatively you could also have your band manager or band leader write an optional short recommendation to provide a different perspective of you.

by jerrykantrell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 am
phew!
Thanks jelt, thanks so much for replying. It takes a huge load off of my back. Would it be a bad thing if I were to stress the importance of music in my life, during the interview ? for after all, I am a mechanical engineering graduate.

Thanks once again.

Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 pm
It is important to point out things that you're passionate about as that presents the interviewer with something other than your academic transcripts and professional recommendations. The interviews generally last about 30 minutes which means that there may or may not be time to emphasis your extra interests. As jelt pointed out essays or a recommendation from a Band member are your best bet in trying to present a second dimension to your application.

by jelt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:59 pm
I would also focus on emphasising your professional involvement in the band, highlighting aspects that business schools are interested in- team work, success in selling tickets, production, and so on- rather than merely going with 'an interest in music'. This is, after all, business school. If you merely have 'an interest in music' (for me, I had a similar case for dance) and cannot or would rather not show professional involvement, then I would use the interview rather than waste precious essay or recommendation space.

by jerrykantrell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 pm
I get it now, thank you parore and jelt.

I love this place (beatthegmat) :)

by jerrykantrell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:20 pm
So, jelt, did you talk about your interest in dance during any of the interviews that you have given ?

by jelt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:56 am
Yes. When they asked me what extra-curriculars I was thinking of joining, I said that I would do dance, which I had done before in college, because I think that really livens up a campus and improves the social scene. The point is to make it a one-liner telling them why they would think your interest is useful to their programme, what u've done before in that extra-curricular (ie you're not pulling it out of your ass), and then leave it at that.

Professional judgment on what to stress and what not to push too hard is something business schools value strongly too.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:02 pm
jerrykantrell wrote:I get it now, thank you parore and jelt.

I love this place (beatthegmat) :)
:)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school