760 after about 2.5 months

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

760 after about 2.5 months

by kris » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:57 pm
I walked out very happy from the test center this morning.

I studied for about 2.5 months. I bought several used books a while before that, but I didn't really start studying until I made myself schedule a test two months ahead.

Score:
760 total
48 quantitative
46 verbal

Study tools:
Kaplan GMAT 2006
Princeton GMAT 2005
Official GMAT 11th edition
Official GMAT Quantitative Review

Study strategy:
I did not want to enroll in any expensive test prep courses, as I'm pretty confident I could do just as well on my own (and those courses are really expensive too). I made sure to take all the free tests available online (2 from GMATPrep, 1 from Princeton, 1 from Kaplan, and the math section from 800score). The GMAT is mostly about applying existing knowledge to slightly different problems, so I figured that if I just did enough problems, I would be OK.

I finished the Kaplan book before I took any of the sample tests. I didn't want to take a test before I had gotten the chance to actually study, especially since there are a limited number of tests available. I got around 670 on the Kaplan practice test (in the book).

I studied pretty much only on weekends, and only a little during the week.

After finishing the Kaplan book I did the Princeton book. Since I bought the Princeton book used I didn't get access to the online tests.

After the Princeton book (this is about 1.5 months into my 2.5 month study period, I took the first of the two tests in the GMATPrep software. I scored a 710.

I then started the official book. The quantitative part was my weakest point, so during the last week before the test I also bought the official quantitative review book and went through the hardest questions.

I planned to take a trial test two weekends before the real test, but I didn't get time, so I took one trial test during the week (I came in really late to work), and two tests Saturday before the actual test. I only did about an hours worth of review the day before the test. I took a total of four practice tests.

Test day:
Since my test was at 8am I had gotten up extra early the entire week before just to make sure my body was used to it. I pretty much only relaxed the day before the test.

I got to the test center about 30 minutes early, which was good, since I didn't have to sit in the waiting room for very long. I had to lock away everything but my passport (including my watch). Whenever I took a break (and I took all available breaks!), I had to scan my fingerprints when leaving and entering the test room. Nifty.

I had brought some fruit to the test center, and it was nice to have something to snack on during a break. It made me take a longer break, since it was a little hard to try to relax in the waiting area.

I could feel my concentration slipping during the last 10 questions of the verbal part, but I managed to not think about the score. I actually finished the verbal part in around 45 minutes.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:05 pm
Congrats on your amazing score!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:09 am
wow 750 + scores two members in a week!!
kya baat hai!

congrats kris.