CR assumption type

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

CR assumption type

by neha shekhawat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.

I got confused between A and C.Still not able to find out that why is option A not correct answer?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by AjiteshArun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 am
neha shekhawat wrote:I got confused between A and C.Still not able to find out that why is option A not correct answer?
The weakness in the argument is that it relies on a drop in the number of Borodian TV assemblers to say that the number of TVs imported must go up. But even if the number of Borodian TV assemblers goes down, those assemblers could produce more TVs if they become (for example) more efficient. Therefore, to remove this possibility and to say that the number of imported TVs will go up, we must assume that (the smaller number of) Borodian TV assemblers are not going to get faster at making TVs. That's for the third option.

For the first option: the argument does not need to assume that the number of assemblers in Vernland will go up as there are many ways that imports into Borodia could go up. For example, even if the total number of assemblers (even the total number of TVs made) in Vernland goes down, the number of TVs sent to Borodia could still go up.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 am
I explain this CR here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-cr-113 ... 41622.html
neha shekhawat wrote:why is option A not correct answer?
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.
A, negated:
The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by less than the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
If Borodia loses 100 assemblers, while Vernland gains 99 assemblers, it is still entirely possible that the lack of assemblers in Borodia will result in an increase in imports from Vernland.
Since the negation of A does not invalidate the conclusion, eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3