Seminar problem TEST I 18 (1000CR)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Seminar problem TEST I 18 (1000CR)

by Warlock007 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 pm
dear all
please help me with the answer and explaination

Critics of sales seminars run by outside consultants point out that since 1987, revenues of vacuum cleaner companies whose employees attended consultant-led seminars were lower than revenues of vacuum cleaner companies whose employees did not attend such seminars. The critics charge that for vacuum cleaner companies, the sales seminars are ill conceived and a waste of money.
Which of the following, if true, is the most effective challenge to the critics of sales seminars?
(A) Those vacuum cleaner companies whose sales were highest prior to 1987 are the only companies that did not send employees to the seminars.
(B) Vacuum cleaner companies that have sent employees to sales seminars since 1987 experienced a greater drop in sales than they had prior to 1987.
(C) The cost of vacuum cleaner sales seminars run by outside consultants has risen dramatically since 1987.
(D) The poor design of vacuum cleaner sales seminars is not the only reason for their ineffectiveness.
(E) Since 1987, sales of vacuum cleaners have risen twenty percent.

OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm
A is obvious.

Its like saying married couple are happy and then counter example is only happy people marry, so since companies whose sales are already highest, its likely fall in revenue is to do less with employee attending seminar.s
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tendee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am
Critics claim the sale seminar is useless because the companies who sent their employees to the seminar experienced a decline in their revenue. (Flaw in reasoning)
Anser is A because it says that the companies who did not send their employees to the seminar also experienced a decline in their sale,so, it challenge the critic's claim.
B) agrees with the critics
(C) does not talk about the cause and effect relationship - irrelevant
(D) out of scope
(E) out of scope

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 am
I disagree with the manner in which A has been interpreted by both the Members above.
The stimulus says that companies that sent their employess to seminars had lower revenues than Companies that did not.
Nowhere is it mentioned that Companies that sent their employees faced decline in revenues .
Even Married people Example does not suit well in this case.A seems to be saying something totally Different
I Seek Explanations Not Answers