Don't go unprepared!

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Don't go unprepared!

by tohin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 am
Hi,

Just received my score report: 114/120.
(Reading-29; Listening-29; Speaking-27; Writing-29)
Very happy, as I thought I'd score below 110 (reading and listening are pretty much in line with what I expected, but speaking is a very good surprise).

One first note:
I took the test in Paris, France (@ MBA Globe)
Test conditions were just horrible (computers were out of age, keyboards were azerty with stickers to transform them into QWERTY... and a lot of stickers were missing, mics did not calibrate properly, internet connection was poor and we had to restart the test in the middle of it... plus we were packed - 5 people in a 6 sq. meter room). I just do not understand how such test centers are granted ETS certifications. Knowing the price of the test, ETS should be ashamed.
From what I read before, it is quite common for TOEFL test takers to experience such conditions... be prepared.
The GMAT (Pearson) test center was incredibly nice in comparison to the ETS center.

For the rest, DanaJ's post sums it all. Do prepare for the test.

The speaking section is demanding, and you should not expect to get through it easily without getting familiar with its format.
Preparation and actual speaking time for each question are extremely short. I consider myself a fluent English speaker but I still left the test center with the impression I had failed miserably on that part of the test.

In short: Writing, Reading & Listening sections are pretty straight forward if your level of English is ok. But do not take the test without spending a decent amount of time preparing the Speaking section.

ATB to everyone!

Vincent

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 am
Congrats, Vincent! Or should I say, felicitations! :)

by tohin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 pm
Merci Dana!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thomasl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 am
Hi Vincent,

Can you talk a little more about your experience with the speaking section? How you prepared, what you suggest...?

I feel like I'm in the same situation. My English is quite fluent and I have almost no accent, but the speaking section scares me a bit. Adjusting to this format appears to be really hard for me.

Most people told me so far, that they just picked up a few words from the lectures presented or the text and kept their answer rather basic. The sample answers provided in the OG, etc. however appear to be much more complex (complex, given the circumstances, not in generall). I then looked in the OG where they explain the scoring --> not much of help. It would be great if you could outline what you have experienced throughout the speaking section and how you feel about the scoring. Is the grading on the speaking section approached rather moderate and forgiving? What are the most important things to focus on (e.g. fluency and timing over grammar and structure, etc.)?

Thanks for your thoughts and help. I have two nights (a 4 hours) to go. Aiming for 27+

Any last time tips much appreciated. Thanks.

by tohin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:00 am
Hi Thomasl,

Sorry, I just saw your question.
I guess you took the test already and scored high :)
What was your score?

To answer your question, I had the impression that the grading on the speaking section was rather generous.
I did not finish my answers to multiple questions, but still received a decent score (27).

So that section is not easy, but you can still reach a correct score without doing extremely well.

Vincent