Please comment on my study plan

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please comment on my study plan

by ynatchev » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 am
I'm taking the GMAT on April 4th and I was wondering if you can give me your opinion about my study plan.(I'm currently almost over with OG13)

My plan for the weeks to come:
1.Every weekend I'll study around 4 hours a day and on weekdays 2 hours a day at least!
2.Every weekend I'll do some practice exams, at least 1 or 2. Analyze my strenghts and weaknesses and focus on my weaknesses during the weekdays.

Books I have and I'm going to buy.
1. I already have the OG13, the official verbal review 2nd edition, and of course the GMAT prep software
2. I'm thinking of buying one Manhattan book so I can get an access to the 6 computer adaptive practice exams (can you retake them anytime?)
3. I was also thinking of buying the 3 paper test from the mba.com website( Are they worth the buy?)

My question is would my plan give me enough preparation for a good score on the GMAT (above 600). I have good math skills because I graduated with a bachelor in Finance and Economics. My main weakness is the Sentence correction section. Other than that I think I have good logical skills (which is important for the GMAT cause its mostly logic)

So what do you guys think about my plan?
Can you suggest some improvements?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am
To get an idea of the required learning resources and necessary prep time, you should take an official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx
It may be the case that you're already scoring over 600, in which case you may not need to prepare at all :-)
Or it may be the case that you're far from your target score, in which case your 5-week plan (with limited learning resources) may be unrealistic.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ynatchev » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am
Hello Brent

Thank you for your answer. Yes i will definetly post my score when i do the practice exam from the GMATPrep. I would have done it during the week but unfortunetly i work until very late. When I take it on Saturday I will post my results.

My question is what do you mean by Limited resources? Would you suggest more study guides?

Also my target is as much as possible but at least 600, so even if I score higher on the GMATPrep I still I want to do better :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 am
ynatchev wrote: My question is what do you mean by Limited resources? Would you suggest more study guides?
The various Official Guides are great resources for official practice questions, but they're not very comprehensive when it comes to instruction. To perform well on the GMAT, you need to learn all of the foundational concepts AND you need to learn GMAT-specific strategies for answering questions quickly and accurately. In my opinion, the Official Guides do not provide this level of instruction.

I'd like to add an Error Log (aka Improvement Chart) to your Study Plan. This is a very important tool that will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses as you answer questions in the Official Guide. You can find the free downloadable Improvement Chart here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log

I've attached one here as well.

Finally, you might consider signing up for BTG's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).
This will help keep your studies on track, and ensure that you cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Cheers,
Brent
Attachments
GMAT-Prep-Now-Improvement-Chart-for-OG13-BTG.xls
(370.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com