Resume Walkthrough in the interview

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Resume Walkthrough in the interview

by resolehtmai » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:18 am
Is resume walkthrough supposed to be done in the order in which things are mentioned in the resume, or one could start in an order that tells the story better?
For e.g : my resume starts in reverse chronological order with work experience first, and then education.
could I start my resume walkthrough from the education and then the work experience chronologically?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 pm
Hi there,

The standard practice is reverse chronological order so you're good there. That also stands true for within the sections themselves. So professional experience comes first, and within that your latest job through to your first job, and then education, etc. This is then followed up by the softer components of your resume such as hobbies, skills, and additional information.

There are some people who put education first but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it and we advise our clients against it. It isn't the most impactful component and not what they care about most when looking at a resume.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by resolehtmai » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 am
thanks for the reply Bhavik. But I hope you understand that I didn't intend to ask about the format of the resume. I meant to ask that what should be the order while answering this question in the interview "Walk me through your resume."
I would appreciate is you could answer about my original question wrt the interview.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:01 am
Ah I see - my apologies, I misunderstood. In an interview, the goal is to have logical progression so in that case the most common flow is undergrad > professional > skills (if applicable - usually not) > additional info/hobbies. It's essentially your elevator pitch but with a little extra info at the beginning and the end. I hope that helps!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!