Beat (but did not demolish) the GMAT 720 (Q46, V42)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720
First off, I would like to thank everyone that is a part of the Beat the GMAT community. I have been continually surprised and I remain appreciative of all the answers and feedback that virtual strangers have been willing to provide. I wish all learning environments had communities as active as Beat the GMAT!

PART 1: DEBRIEF

I just finished what has been a challenging 4 months prepping for the GMAT. I am relieved that this phase of the app process is over.

My target score was anything 700+, but in the back of my mind I was really gunning for 740+. I do not have stellar undergrad grades (79% or so from a solid Canadian University) so I was hoping to compensate for these grades with an outstanding GMAT score. That said, I'll take 720 as I hope it's competitive enough to get me into the schools I'm targeting.

Here's an overview of my prep:
- Beat the GMAT 60-day study guide (I found that I was unable to keep up with the 60-day guide, so my goal was to complete the 60-day guide in just under 3 months.)

- I hit a lull in my prep around Day 45 of the Guide, where I was getting nothing but 600-680 scores on my practice tests, so I then decided to go with the Beat the GMAT Practice Questions. These helped get my Quant scores up to 49 or so on practice tests, but apparently these didn't hold on test day.

I also purchased various materials to shore up what were weaknesses at the time:
- Veritas Probability and Combinatorics - I highly recommend this!
- Kaplan 800- not as hard as the title would indicate
- Powerscore CR Bible
- Manhattan GMAT Number Properties
- Manhattan GMAT Geometry
- Veritas Word Problems & Advanced Quant Review

PART 2: IS 720 GOOD ENOUGH FOR STANFORD (or other top tier U.S. schools)?

My first choice of schools would be Stanford. With the profile I have, does my 720 give me a shot? Should I consider taking the GMAT again to get to that elite 740+ level? Will 740+ help my odds with any of the top tier schools?

An overview of my background:

EDUCATION
Top 5 Canadian University - Business Undergrad - GPA 79% or B+

GMAT: 720 (as of today)

WORK EXPERIENCE
3 years in M&A for a large Canadian technology company; my role has been a good mix of strategy and valuation, along with operational improvements and post-merger integration.
Solid work references.

VOLUNTEER
Pro Bono Consulting
Board Member for a non-profit based in Toronto that provides mentorship to at-risk youth

GMAT Score:760

by wharton750 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm
Great Job!

by skalevar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:40 pm
thanks - any thoughts on chances for Stanford (or other Top Tier U.S.)?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by skins81 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 am
nice score! how did you prepare for quant?

by skalevar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:39 am
QUANT

Materials:

1) Kaplan Math Workout
2) Kaplan Premier
3) OG 12
4) OG Additional Quantitative Review
5) Veritas Probability and Combinatorics (highly recommend for this topic)
6) Veritas Word Problems
7) Beat the GMAT Practice Questions
8) GMAT Focus

I have to say that the Beat the GMAT Practice Questions were really helpful once I had the basics down. They helped me get an extra 3 points on my practice tests. I was consistently getting 46, but after the beat the gmat practice questions I could manage 49 on Quant. Unfortunately, on test day, the 49 did not hold, but oh well.

With quant, I think it's all about practice and putting in your time. Put in the time, and you'll get a reasonable score.

by skalevar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 am
I have heard that the GMAT Club Quantitative Tests are very challenging. I would check those out once you've got the basics down...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by skins81 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 am
thank you. what do you advise for verbal preparation?

by skalevar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:42 am
Verbal:

All about Manhattan GMAT. Purchase SC Guide (essential), CR Guide, and RC Guide. Also, you can try Powerscore's CR Bible, it's good for reinforcement.