PLEASE ADVISE ME ON MY DILEMMA...GMAT PAIN IN THE As

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took GMAT and got meager 600 vs my expectation of 680.

My profile is ---
Current position: Deputy CEO of local corporate bank
Work experience: 6 years as a dealer, trader and treasurer.
Extra activities: VP for national financial association.
Toefl: 111
Education: 1. BBA in accounting /my home country/
2. PG diploma in Financial management /Netherlands/
Professional qualification: ACI Dealing certificate with merit.

I have targeted top 5. But now this stupid GMAT score.
I have difficulties to approach exams like GMAT. Because I have some very difficult type of brain. My "CPU" is very very strong and basis for my such a speedy career but I really don't have a "hard disc" to remember all those techniques, formulas, tricks required to solve GMAT questions. When I started exam I knew I can solve every math questions but of course since I am thinking about the solutions but not directly applying the pre-supposed techniques, I ran out of time.
I am completely sure that I will be in the top 5% of the classes in tops from my experiences in executive course where we had professors from Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Thunderbird and other tops.

But when I see that Ivy league of 700'ers in this forum, I am really afraid and having a dilemma.

Should I spend 1000 bucks for 4 business schools to try with 600 or just refrain this time and lose a whole year to get higher score in GMAT as I am running out of time because of the deadline?
I really don't want to go to cheaper schools as I know most of the things and I suspect that at some point my knowledge might be greater than professors. /again from my experiences interacting with professors from tops/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:10 pm
Do you have time to retake the test? And if you did retake, do you think you could improve your score to your target?

In my opinion, I think you should apply even if you aren't satisfied with your 600. Your work experience seems very impressive and unique, and I think that alone could offset any other discrepancies in your application.

A 700 score is definitely not required to gain admissions at a top business school. Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school