Request advice on which b-schools to apply for

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest some good b-schools

Indian IT male with 3 years work ex as of now. Pursued B.Tech (Electronics and Communciation Engineering) from JNTU,Hyderabad (average level college) with a score of 8.183/10 ( or 81.83%) during 2003-07 and stood as the topper in the Electronics department of my college.

Working in IBM as a Senior system engineer (current designation). Joined as an Associate system engineer. Total work experience of 3 years as of now. When I plan to apply next year august/september it will be 4 years and by joining time it will be 5 years. Currently performing the role of Technical Team Lead Application Developer (guiding the team in various tasks apart from assignment of tasks). One more info is I will be relocating to Boston in a couple of months from India on a work assignment.

Extra curriculars including sports during college weak. But have some good interests in social activities. Current activities are mentoring my juniors of my college and participating in activities of a new political party Loksatta, which is fighting for a corruption free India apart from trying to bring various reforms within governance. Started both of these activities recently. Part of the spiritual organisation by name Onensss University www.onenessuniversity.org

My gmat score is 700. planning to appear gmat again this time targeting some 730+ score, but not sure of that as of now.

My interests are to pursue an MBA
1. with specific emphasis towards consulting (esp in IT) as a career
2. Also, emphasis on general strategy, leadership and strategy & finance as a specialization
3. career opportunities and should get a job as soon as I graduate or asap. good consulting and finance firms should be coming to the campus.
4. I have a preference for flexible curriculum rather than mandatory one (if not possible, fine with either).
5. preference will be for a smaller class size.
6. normally, I would prefer staying in the countryside or in towns rather than in cities. However, I may get married by the time I join and then my spouse should be able to get a job in the town.
7. would prefer the case method for teaching ( not opposed to lectures), with a view that this might get more involvement from my side than in a lecture.

Also, planning to take up the CABM certification from apbm. Please advice me if this adds any value to my application or not.

Also, one more mention, I am open to schools in Asia and Australia, may even prefer them to the schools in US for proximity and cost of mba. I am considering ISB(since it is good for consulting and in India) and also Stern( since it looks helping students a lot with career changes). Please advice on this.

Can someone from mba mission go through my profile, evaluate it and suggest me schools to purse each of my interest and as well what fits all or most my 7 preferences I have listed above.It would be great if you can classify these schools further as realistic, dream, safety. I am looking at applying for some 5 - 7 schools. Really I would appreciate if you can guide me on this and give me some 10 - 12 schools out of which I can select 5 - 7 schools. Thanks in advance.