Please put me in my place !!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please put me in my place !!

by rhishikeshj » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:38 am
Hi,
I have an engg degree in Computer Engg from reputed university in India.
GPA : 3.7
GMAT 740
AWA : 6.0
Work experience : Working as a software engineer in product company for 1 1/2 years.
Last 6 months, i have been working in a big name mobile company. Will complete 3 years at the time of joining the MBA program.

The schools that i want to target are
Cornell
Michigan Ross
Nanyang Tech
Kellogg
Indian School of Business
HEC paris
UCLA Anderson

Please help me in evaluating my chances at the above mentioned universities.
Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 pm
rhishikeshj wrote:Hi,
I have an engg degree in Computer Engg from reputed university in India.
GPA : 3.7
GMAT 740
AWA : 6.0
Work experience : Working as a software engineer in product company for 1 1/2 years.
Last 6 months, i have been working in a big name mobile company. Will complete 3 years at the time of joining the MBA program.

The schools that i want to target are
Cornell
Michigan Ross
Nanyang Tech
Kellogg
Indian School of Business
HEC paris
UCLA Anderson

Please help me in evaluating my chances at the above mentioned universities.
Thanks
I will say that your profile looks common. What differentiates you from the other Computer Engineers from a reputable university in India with a high gmat and good GPA? If you can convey that message you'll have a leg up on the competition. With that being said, your stats definitely won't keep you OUT of the schools you've listed.

Anyone else agree with me?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rhishikeshj » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:39 am
Thanks money 9111,
I know that my profile is perceived as very common. I was hoping my above average gmat score and gpa will help differentiate me.
That being said, i know i am going to have to do tremendously well on the essays. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:45 am
rhishikeshj wrote:Thanks money 9111,
I know that my profile is perceived as very common. I was hoping my above average gmat score and gpa will help differentiate me.
That being said, i know i am going to have to do tremendously well on the essays. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Yeah like I said your gmat and gpa won't keep you out of any programs. But always keep in mind that 800's and 4.0's are turned away from these top business schools every year. The question is why? What do they have behind those scores?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 am
I agree with everything Money9111 has said thus far. You may want to consider working with an essay coach. Obviously, I recommend myself, but there are a TON of us out there. Some factors to consider when choosing one should you decide to work with one:

- What is his/her pricing structure and service offerings and do those fit with your needs?
- What is his/her working style? How many edits do you get of each essay? How much feedback do you get? What kind of feedback is it?
- How much experience does the coach have with helping "typical" candidates differentiate themselves from the pack?
- How comfortable do you feel working and talking with the person during the initial conversation?

Those are just some of the questions you can use to guide yourself in choosing an essay coach.

You could also reach out to friends and colleagues at those institutions and ask for their help in reviewing your essays. The big risk in this is that they are VERY BUSY as well as not necessarily experts on MBA admissions. However, this method does work for lots of people.

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.