OG13 - Q20

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG13 - Q20

by chitrasekar2k5 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am
Retailsales rose 0.8 of 1 percent inAugust, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the Julv-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending inthe July-September quarter would more than double
(0 of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Someone help me to understand this pl..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am
IMO : B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 pm
chitrasekar2k5 wrote:Retailsales rose 0.8 of 1 percent inAugust, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the Julv-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of
(0 of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of
To express the FUTURE-IN-THE-PAST -- an action expected to take place AFTER ANOTHER PAST ACTION -- we use WOULD:
The conductor ANNOUNCED that the train WOULD ARRIVE on time.
Here, the conductor ANNOUNCED (in the past) that the train WOULD ARRIVE (at some point AFTER the conductor announced).

The intention of the SC above is to discuss what personal spending WOULD DO after retail sales ROSE.
Only B conveys the intended meaning:
Retail sales ROSE 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter WOULD MORE THAN DOUBLE that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
Here, retail sales ROSE (in the past), and -- as a result -- there were expectations that personal spending WOULD MORE THAN DOUBLE (at some point after retail sales rose).

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sks74 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 am
Thank you Mitch,
I have coupe of questions.
1) If I spilt the answers based on "expectations that personal spending" and "expectations of personal spending", do you think "of" is gramatically incorrect ?
If it is so, only answers left is A or B

2) OG explains that "D" is not technically wrong, but it is less clear & graceful that "B". Does it mean if option B is not there, option D will be correct answer?

Regards,
-santosh

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 26, 2013 3:18 am
sks74 wrote:Thank you Mitch,
I have coupe of questions.
1) If I spilt the answers based on "expectations that personal spending" and "expectations of personal spending", do you think "of" is gramatically incorrect ?
If it is so, only answers left is A or B
In C, D, and E, expectations of personal spending does not convey the intended meaning.
People did not expect the spending itself.
Rather, they expected what the spending WOULD DO: that it WOULD MORE THAN DOUBLE the 1.4 percent growth rate.
Eliminate C, D and E.
2) OG explains that "D" is not technically wrong, but it is less clear & graceful that "B". Does it mean if option B is not there, option D will be correct answer?
No, since D does not convey the intended meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Sun May 26, 2013 9:23 pm
In addition to what Mitch has mentioned, that of is an issue in D. that is a demonstrative pronoun here, but there is nothing that that can logically refer to in this sentence. Let us substitute two possible antecedents of that and see how the sentence would look like:

a. Perhaps that refers to personal spending. Then the sentence would be:
...personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling personal spending of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter...
- Clearly not correct.

b. Perhaps that refers to growth rate. Then the sentence would be:
...personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling growth rate of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter...
- Two occurrences of growth rate in the above sentence are at best redundant.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Followed by:2 members

by Mission2012 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 pm
chitrasekar2k5 wrote:Retailsales rose 0.8 of 1 percent inAugust, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the Julv-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

Someone help me to understand this pl..
Hi,

Can any of the experts help me to understand difference in the meaning conveyed by option B and D
If you find my post useful -> please click on "Thanks"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by ilyana » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:48 am
First of all, "that of" in D refers to nothing.
It must refer to something in the sentence, but if we try "personal spending", the sentence will become nonsensical:
more than doubling personal spending of 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter

Then, there's an issue of how to convey the meaning when our expectations are about some action.
The correct and the easiest way to do it is to use the verb in "that"-clause:
expectations that X would more than double Y"

We can try to say it without a verb:
expectations of X more than doubling Y
Probably, it is acceptable in English, but the GMAT certainly doesn't appreciate such efforts.

The GMAT has a very straightforward logic: we you want to say about an action (and this is our intended meaning if we look at A), use a verb! Because if we look closer at D-option, we will understand that there's no action there.

What are expectations of? They are of personal spending --> no action there.
"more than doubling Y" is not an action either. It is just a modifier of "personal spending" or, in other words, it describes "personal spending".

That's why B is the correct answer choice.
Please click on "Thank" button if you think my post is helpful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyana-anderson-481846127/

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
To express the FUTURE-IN-THE-PAST -- an action expected to take place AFTER ANOTHER PAST ACTION -- we use WOULD:
The conductor ANNOUNCED that the train WOULD ARRIVE on time.
Here, the conductor ANNOUNCED (in the past) that the train WOULD ARRIVE (at some point AFTER the conductor announced).

The intention of the SC above is to discuss what personal spending WOULD DO after retail sales ROSE.
Only B conveys the intended meaning:
Retail sales ROSE 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter WOULD MORE THAN DOUBLE that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.
Here, retail sales ROSE (in the past), and -- as a result -- there were expectations that personal spending WOULD MORE THAN DOUBLE (at some point after retail sales rose).

The correct answer is B.
Dear Mitch,

In OA, is it logical to compare "personal spending" with "the percent growth rate in personal spending"? "personal spending" is a magnitude but "percent growth rate" is percentage.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

In OA, is it logical to compare "personal spending" with "the percent growth rate in personal spending"? "personal spending" is a magnitude but "percent growth rate" is percentage.

Thanks
The OA does not make a comparison.
to double X = to increase X by 100%
OA: Personal spending in the Julv-September quarter would more than double the...growth rate.
Conveyed meaning:
Personal spending in the July-September quarter would increase the growth rate by more than 100%.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3