Profile Evaluation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Priya Krishnamoorthy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:12 am
hi seema and team,

Thanks for helping us around on this!!! I am jus tring to get a second opinion on my profile.

Nationality: Indian
Gmat:
Scaled Score Percentile
Quants 46 79
Verbal 34 70
Total 650 82

Work Ex: 3 years
Current Designation: Assistant Manager - Finance
Under Grad. : B.com Madras Univ - 75%
Other Qualifications : Grad. CWA

Current Job Profile: I have quite an interesting and challenging profile. I am responsible for the profitability enhancement of my programs. My job includes prepataion of program budgets, financial model during business transition, evalutaing the weekly revenue and profitability forecast of my programs, approval of program monthly pnl, and many other qualitative analysis from financial perfective as and when required.

I work closely with VP and CFO of my company. I am confident of getting good recos from my co.

In undergrad days I have been in many organising committes in my colleges and also in ICWA inst.

In the charity front, I am in the verge of starting one along with my friends. Although it was never with an intention of improving my profile.

My GMAT score is much below, what I had aimed. but i am seriously not intersted in retaking the test.

I need a little bit of aid too. I am pretty ambitious. I never looked at anything less than top 10 till i got my gmat score.

What r my realistic chances of getting into a yale or tuck or wharton or insead.

What are the good schools that you might recommend for me...considering what i said above...

Advanced thanks for ur help. Highly appreciated.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmino » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm
Have u tried this:
https://www.skoolix.com/skoolixSearch.aspx

might help...

thanks tmino

by Priya Krishnamoorthy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 am
nice link!!! thanks buddy!!!

Profile Evaluation

by brkthruprtnrs » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:10 am
Hi Priya,

Thanks for posting. We'd be happy to give you our thoughts.

Work Experience: Your work experience to date sounds very interesting indeed. I think you could likely come up with some strong topics from your work experience which you could highlight in your essay.

Academics/Scores: From an academic perspective, your studies will differentiate you to a degree, as a large portion of applicants from India tend to have technical backgrounds. However, as you are already aware, your GMAT score is low. I can certainly understand not wanting to retake it. It is a lot of work. You can overcome this by highlighting high marks in quantitative courses you might have taken (e.g., Calculus, Differential Equations, Physics, etc.) as they show that you have the intellectual fortitude to succeed in a rigorous MBA program. Also, see if you can speak to your recommenders about highlighting your analytical and communication abilities.

Recommendations: From what you say, it sounds like you will have strong recommendations. You have the right idea in selecting people with whom you have a strong rapport and a history of working together. Try to establish a dialogue with them about the themes you are trying to highlight in your application

Extra curriculars / community service: It's great that you have lots of activities from undergrad. Is there anything from the last 3 years you can talk about? It doesn't have to be a club, it can be a hobby or an interest. In terms of the charity you are starting, it would of course be better if you had already started it :) but it is what it is, right? Be sure to highlight why you are starting it, why you are passionate about this cause, etc.

Now, here is what I have not heard yet and what you should focus on:

Career Goals: You have talked about what you have done to date, but what about what you want to do next? What do you want to do with your life, where do you want to be in 20 years? Make sure there is a link from what you do now or your past academics/extra-curriculars to this. This leads me to my next point...

Why an MBA: You need to be VERY specific about this. Why do you need an MBA to accomplish said career goals above? What makes it imperative for you to obtain an MBA now? And be sure to be very specific and thoughtful when you address why each program to which you apply is the right program for you.

Leadership/Impact: What are your leadership skills? What leadership experience do you have to date and what kind of leader will you be? What kind of an impact do you seek to have on the world? How will you change the world?

In terms of schools, it is tough to recommend a list of schools without knowing some of the info I listed above. I would suggest you select a mix of schools (some more competitive, some less) so that you feel confident of getting into at least one of them.

Good luck,
Seema Kumar
Co-Founder
Breakthrough Partners
"MBA Admissions Experts for aspiring Indian applicants."
www.breakthroughpartners.net
[email protected]