not sure if I beat the gmat, but +120 points in 4 months...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just came out of the test center for the 3rd time. Not going to offer any earth-shattering insight. Rather, I'm just going to post to encourage others who've started on a bad note, as that's what I've found most valuable from this board: reading stories of individuals who have improved significantly and seeing that it can be done.

With blood, sweat and tears, and the help of the GMAT Ninja Charles, I improved 120 points in 4 months. The score isn't ideal, but I'm going with it.

Leading up to the first test, I did self-study with MGMAT and official guide stuff for about 5 weeks. After the test 1 debacle, I committed myself to doing whatever it would take to improve. For me, that involved getting precise and dedicated GMAT assistance from a private tutor, which is the best way I learn (vs. doing a larger class). Charles (www.gmatninja.com) was a major contributor to my improvement as he first helped build a base of knowledge upon which we then were able to create specific plans that attacked key areas of deficiency. While not inexpensive, I found him to be a great value in terms of insight, time and resources, particularly in comparison to rates for private tutoring from larger firms.

At the end of the day, I spent well over 200 hours studying, beginning way back when in June. That's A LOT of time. Would I like a 730 with a 95%V and 80%Q? Of course. It is what it is at this point and will have to do.

Best of luck to all those hoping for a great score and hard work can pay off!

Hopefully I'll follow up with some positive admissions news in a few months : )
Last edited by jraider06 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 pm
Great score...best of luck for ur apps...

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 am
Congrats!!
The AdCom will surely take into account the upward trend of the GMAT scores.

Best of luck with the apps.

Do apprise the BTG community with your admission success story!!
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:26 pm
Congratulations! And thank you for the great shout-out.

Jraider06, I get to work with some really likable, hard-working people... but you probably busted your balls harder than almost anybody I've ever seen. A 120-point improvement is a rare, rare feat, and you earned every single point of it. And then some.

An elite MBA program will be very lucky to have you. Keep me posted!
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

by gorginger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 pm
To the entire BTG community:

I don't want to make false accusations, but I believe everyone here should be wary of working with the "GMATNinja" until they get proof of that his references on this forum are indeed real and that he did indeed score a 780 on the GMAT. I am not trying to defame this person, but my experiences contacting and researching his background have made me HIGHLY suspicious that the people posting these "success stories" on BTG are not real people. Maybe I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but I think anyone about to shell out $150 should be alert to the very real possibility that this person is scamming them.
Last edited by gorginger on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 pm
Wow. I have no idea who "gorginger" is, but here are some honest facts about my tutoring practice:

1) All of the reviews about my services on BTG are 100% real, and I did not write or solicit any of them. After Hari posted some positive comments about me on BTG, students began to find me after reading his comments, and then chose to post a positive review when they were pleased with my services. Again, the reviews were their choice--not mine. I cannot control the fact that some of them have not been regular BTG contributors. And for what it's worth, I consciously post very sparingly on BTG, exactly because I don't want to be seen as using the site for personal gain.

2) I have never "promptly turned down" anybody who has ever asked me for references of any sort, and I have never been asked specifically for references from these success stories. Of course, all of these reviewers would be happy to serve as references, and I could easily connect a potential student with them... but nobody has ever asked!

3) I very rarely get asked for official score report, and I don't think that this "gorginger" ever did so. I went through my emails, and found only one person who has asked me for a score report in the past year... and I told her that I would be happy to show it to her. My 780 is real, and I have the reports to prove it.

4) Nobody has ever asked me for both an official score report and to identify the writers of my online reviews. I can't understand why somebody would make this up, but gorginger's story is, unfortunately, completely false.

5) I don't necessarily mind that somebody is posting negative things about me online--I'm not perfect, and not all of my students achieve their dreams. But unfortunately, "gorginger" seems to be inventing facts. If you're going to speak badly of me, please do so in an honest, well-informed way.

I pride myself on being brutally honest, both as a tutor and as a human being... and I could provide dozens of references from recent years who would enthusiastically endorse my character and my work. I don't make any guarantees or claims that I can't back up--there are no shams or scams here, just a guy trying to make an honest living as a tutor.
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

by jraider06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:04 pm
To any potential GMAT Ninja customers,

Please ignore gorginger's comments, as they are an unfortunate attempt to defame Charles, not to mention they are a very poor example of deductive reasoning. In fact, I would encourage anyone to use the argument gorginger laid out as an example of what not to do on critical reasoning questions.

It is true that I've not posted any other times on this site, but it is also true that I do not post anything on any other GMAT/MBA websites. I am a private person and, based on my exceptionally strong experience with the GMAT Ninja Charles, felt compelled on my own volition to create a post that shared my positive experience with others. Because I have not posted anywhere else, it does not deduce that Charles is a scam.

Charles is indeed a real person and I can assure you my results were very real : )

Best of luck on the GMAT and keep working hard!

-Satisfied GMAT Ninja Customer