Admitted to Indiana University Kelley School of Business

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello everyone.

My GMAT experience has been a real journey and this community has been like a breath of fresh air evey time I logged in... I had a dream B School and an dream program and sent just one application when I decided to pursue a Masters Degree. I was first put on a wait list than asked for a better GMAT Quant score. I was very disappointed and retook the GMAT only a year after and with a 30 day prep...

On test day, it was hell. I felt sick during the first break and got back to my station 4 minutes late. Panic really made me waist time during the Quant section and when I had 17 questions left, I only had 10 minutes remaining... For a second I thought I'd just run away or cancel my score. But I remember having read a post here saying even if you mess up in the quant part, you can still "save" your score with verbal. So I took a deep breath and prayed. There was no way I could fnish the quant so I did the worst thing to be done on GMAT (no choice): blindly guessed for maybe the last 10 questions in quant. I was just thinking there is No Way I'm going to score more than the 500 I had the last time!

I still had to take the break before Verbal and all I could think while I went outside to wash my face with some cold water was: "I believe in miracles..."When I started verbal, I was just trying not to think back about how I could have done in quant if I did not have that timing issue... At the end of the test, I was happy, relieved to see 580. I was aiming for a great 700 score and I was honestly disappointed the next minute. I ended up loving GMAt during the prep and I was ready! I wanted to share with everybody here so they won't make my mistake. Do not panic on test day because losing your focus and wasting time can be the worst thing.

No, I am not writing in the wrong forum. The rest of my application was strong enough 3.3 GPA, Deans list for my Bachelor's Degree in 2008 and high recommandation from the Dean... My GMAT score was reported faster than expected (4 days) and 5 days after the test, I received my admissions letter from a Top-20 Business School to enroll my dream program (Master of Science in Strategic Management).

So remember: a high GMAT score is Not the Only key to entering your dream Business School and when you feel everything gets out of hands and you tend to be powerless, Believe that God can turn things around for you!

I'm happy and can't wait to start the classes in August. I wish all of you to experience the Success we are all seeking for.

Romie

P.S. It might sound crazy but I promised myself I am retaking the GMAT to get my "real" score in normal conditions

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:13 pm
Romie yes it does sound crazy lol but i semi understand haha... this test is one of those things where you say to yourself "oh i can beat you! come on let's go at it! show me what you got!"

congrats on the admit
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Romie » Mon May 24, 2010 3:42 pm
money9111 wrote:Romie yes it does sound crazy lol but i semi understand haha... this test is one of those things where you say to yourself "oh i can beat you! come on let's go at it! show me what you got!"

congrats on the admit
You got it right Money! This is how I feel about GMAT lol Thanks for semi understanding ad best of luck in August!!! Beat the GMAT!!!

MBA Student
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by salmaan » Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 am
Romie:

Kudos to you! Out of curiousity, this is the Kelley Direct Online program, right?

Make sure to take the opportunity to join the Alumni network, and if you are in the midwest, pay the extra $$$ to join the GCS. The Alumni base is great!