Profile Evaluation Please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please

by rdehay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:15 pm
Female
Native Hawaiian (grew up in Hawaii)
26 at matriculation with 3.5 years of full time experience after graduating (I have about 2 years of full time internship experience)

Undergrad 3.1, Civil Engineering, Stanford
Graduate 3.6, Civil Engineering (Construction Management), Stanford
GMAT: 710 (48Q, 39V, 93%)

School Activites:
Played 3 years of soccer at Stanford, top 5, scholarship
Played 2 years of soccer at University of Hawaii, All-Conference 2x, scholarship
Sorority 4 years, Stanford University

Leadership Experience (first job, in addition to my typical engineering design duties):
Implemented program to transition 18 engineers from a 2d program to 3d program. Created training schedule, committed civil group to compentency deadlines, lead focused training sessions, was the representative to CEO and board of directors. Was given a budget of $200k (15% of annual profits) no counting training time to implement. This 3d ability enabled firm to win a $12M contract over 10 years as the first Hawaii firm using program.

Entrepreneurial Experience (second job, in addition to my typical engineering design duties);
Was sent by firm to Dubai for 4 months to assist in setting up an office. While the CEO and Head of Business Development were marketing our services, I was responsible for getting us legally registered to do work in the UAE, find all relevant design standards, review proposals, attend technical meetings as the "voice" of the firm, and conduct market analysis for various administrative functions (housing, office spaces, legal regulations etc.) After accomplishing all this, I extending my stay to be the Project Manager on our first Dubai project. This meant coordinating a design-build project with the Muslim client and Irish/British Architect.

Community Service:
I've always volunteered during my college breaks to coach teams or work camps.
After graduating, I coach a high school soccer team essentially as the head coach.

Why MBA: transition from engineering to real estate development. I am a licensed engineer, have a graduate degree in construction management and am looking to solidify my background to eventually run my own development firm.

Target Schools: Columbia, NYU, Wharton and Yale

I want to apply to Columbia now, regular decision, but all the others I'd apply next year and Columbia again if I didn't get in. Do you think I have a chance at those schools and particularly Columbia regular decision this late in the game? FYI...regular review started Jan 10 and the deadline is April 16. I'll finish my application by Feb 20 and submit.

Thanks in advanced!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Dear rdehay:

You have a strong profile with some interesting experiences. You can always roll the dice and see what happens. I will caution you that this late in the cycle, scholarship funds are scarce and the number of awards dramatically decrease. If scholarship funds are not much of a concern, then whether you apply or not is simply a question of how much you want to start a program this fall versus next.

Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me