NYU Stern Part Time MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

NYU Stern Part Time MBA

by kirilus » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am
Hi,

I found some really interesting discussion topics here about the Stern school of business, but none of those topics were about part time MBA at Stern. So, I decided to create a topic.

I visited the campus several times and talked to different academic advisors. It seems to me that their responses to many of my questions were: "We evaluate each candidate holistically based on his or her academic profile, professional achievements & aspirations, and personal and professional characteristics."

Can you please help me figure out if I should apply given the facts below.

1. GPA 3.8 (Economics degree, Liberal Arts, US university)
2. GMAT 590 (42/30)
3. 2+ years work experience in a financial institution as a Project Manager/Business Analyst in the Operations area. Plus two years leading a small student-oriented non-profit organization while in college.
4. Professional references can be quite good.
5. Originally I am from Eastern Europe
6. Short term goals is to continue working in the PM role at a financial institution. Long term goal is to acquire skills necessary (financial analysis, budgets, product roll out, product branding, marketing, etc.) to advance into the Product Management role.

My dilemma is the GMAT score - I have taken it twice with the same result. I will not apply to any other schools - I think Stern has a very good curriculum and fits my work schedule quire well with 2 Saturday classes a week. What are my chances of getting accepted?

Another question to current p/t students (if there are any on this forum): how do you like the Langone program?

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:51 pm
I live in NYC and have three friends attending NYU's PT program. Two of my friends got 640's on the GMAT and the third one got a 700. The GMAT isn't everything, but I think it would be tough to get into with a 590. Being the top PT program AND in NYC, makes for a lot of competition. I think you should definitely try to increase your score.

My friend said that he's seen that some students don't take the program too seriously because their companies are paying for it, so they know that they just need to graduate. Not sure what that means in terms of corporate culture, but something to be aware of.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by kirilus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 am
So, no matter how strong your application is overall - GMAT is the deciding factor..? I have to disagree because I do not think the admissions office looks at GMAT only. My question was a little different.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:16 am
No I'm not saying by any means that your GMAT score is the only factor. I would never say that, but I can say that you will be competing against people who have scored well above a 590. So with that being said, do you want it to come down to your GMAT score vs. and another persons GMAT score all things being equal...

Should you apply to the program? I think you should apply... but if you can optimize your chance of acceptance in any way shape or form, I think you should do that as well.

Best of luck! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amittilak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 am
kirilus,
I think you have a strong gpa for your undergrad and good prof. references. That will definitely help to offset your GMAT score. I think all it comes down to is whether you can tell a good story about why u want to pursue MBA with NYU. If you can convince them why "NYU MBA now", you will be in. Ofcourse the weaker your GMAT or undergrad GPA is, the more convincing you will have to do (which is what money9111 was saying!!).
I am applying to PT NYU among other NY area schools.
Here's my profile:
MY background is in Civil Engg. I have Masters from a reputed Univ in NY. WE is 6 years. My GMAT is 660. Undergrad GPA is 3.4
I am currently working as Sales engineer and have impressive sales record for last 2 years. I am applying to NYU Langone PT program in their Weschester campus and to Baruch & Fordham. I am really hoping to get an admit in atleast one of them.
Finally, its good to have a seperate topic for PT MBA at Stern and other NY area schools.
I hope other applicants for applying for Fall 2010 will keep us informed about their progress.
Good Luck!!

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 am
amittilak thanks for clarifying my statement... that's exactly what I was trying to convey. I've thoroughly done my research re: low GPA's which could be considered the corollary to a lower than average GMAT score. If your scores fall within the 20-80% range then you'd be in a better position. Trust me, I'm not one to be cynical or pessimistic... I just checked the Langone website and the Middle 20-80% range for the GMAT for Langone is 610-730. All this means is that the rest of your application needs to be phenomenal.

I think sometimes people underestimate the GMAT score because schools say that they take a holistic approach, but keep in mind that this is the "Harvard" of PT programs... so they can be picky!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amittilak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 am
money9111,
you cannot be more right on the whole "holistic" approach BS... I am sorry if I'm cynical but everytime I hear that word it just makes me madd (because its simply not true).. Imagine how easy our life would be if schools start giving out their minimum GMAT requirements like some schools do for undergrad gpa... save everybody valuable time and money and more importantly "disappointment"!!!!! lol... it feels good to get that out finally....
My admission consultant is very skeptical about my chances at NYU PT with my profile.. you have any thoughts abt that !!!

g

by MCJD4ever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:01 am
delete
Last edited by MCJD4ever on Tue May 18, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 am
You GPA in a quant major is above the middle 20-80% which is good since your GMAT score is below the middle 20-80% range. Just as I told kirilus, you would have a better shot with a higher GMAT score, at least if it was in the middle 20-80% range.... 610-730 (https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... oc_id=5101)... but definitely apply regardless

by MCJD4ever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 am
delete
Last edited by MCJD4ever on Tue May 18, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 am
Everything looks and sounds great... I'm sure there are cases where the GPA was above the avg range while the GMAT score was below avg range. I mean in my case hopefully it'll be the other way around...since my GPA will fall below the avg. range.

But seeing as though I plan on applying to schools this coming fall, I've seen a lot of people this past year who have underestimated the importance of their GMAT score. Remember that the GMAT score is the main objective way schools can compare one candidate to another...

by MCJD4ever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 am
Thanks Money!

It's extremely frustrating with this GMAT. The test has been causing me so much stress, as I am taking it again on April 17th, but am trying to be realistic with my expectations. I've studied for it about 2 1/2 - 3 months (Princeton Review course), and I've studied as much as I possibly can, given my semi long hours at work (8 am - 6 pm, sometimes later). If I had more time study, I would MURDER the test lol, but I just dont have an infinite amount of time.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 am
Oh trust me I feel your pain! My exam is on May 8th and it's been the only thing on my mind since January. Just don't lose steam now - it's just around the corner. You'll be able to increase your score without a doubt.

Remember - doing better in verbal is the easiest way to pick up points... Let's kill this thing and put it to rest once and for all! ;-)

by MCJD4ever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:38 am
delete
Last edited by MCJD4ever on Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 am
1.) Not unless you had an extenuating case where you were some gold medal olympian in HS would HS be taken into account... and even then, does it really pertain to b-school? Fortunately, for most people MBA programs do not look at HS performance.

2.) a.) You GMAT score this time around will be good! b.) in case your GMAT score is not high enough... you can most definitely submit your score after the deadline!