Got 480 in my 1st attempt with no proper planning...Pls help

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Got 480 . 37 in maths and 19 in verbal with only 3 months for preparation juggling between work and studies

Due to short amount of time and no proper planning was not able to complete 100% of the books mentioned below

Below is the list of books or material I used as reference

1. OG 12th edition ( Complete Quant , 50% Verbal)

2. OG Verbal review (50%)

3. OG Quant review (75%)

4. Kaplan Premier Program with Cd (completed 3 testes in CD and didnt study any material in book)

5. one GMAT Prep test from gmat website

I am weak in Verbal and data sufficency in quant

Please advice me how much time I need to spend to get a score of 600+ (I am planning to take the test in 3 months)

I am looking for a plan that i can follow to get 600+ ( with 3 hours of study time on weekdays and 10 hours of study on weekends and might vary).

Also advice if I need any additonal books or any book that I mentioned above which is not suitable for the 3 month plan.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:03 pm
2 things...

1 - are you a native english speaker?

2- it looks like you were using exams as preparation, instead of the other way around. if you took 4 tests that's at least 12 hours of testing... you could have spent those 12 hours studying material. tests should only be used as benchmarks because in reality the final test that counts will be used as such... you won't be able to study from the actual GMAT. study your weakness - which looks like it's verbal... that's my weakness too and it's actually the part of the exam that will increase your score the most... so focus on that
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by flipper001 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 am
money9111 wrote:2 things...

1 - are you a native english speaker?

2- it looks like you were using exams as preparation, instead of the other way around. if you took 4 tests that's at least 12 hours of testing... you could have spent those 12 hours studying material. tests should only be used as benchmarks because in reality the final test that counts will be used as such... you won't be able to study from the actual GMAT. study your weakness - which looks like it's verbal... that's my weakness too and it's actually the part of the exam that will increase your score the most... so focus on that
I am a native english speaker

I agree that i did not use the exam and materials in a proper manner.
What books would you suggest for verbal and DS?Do I have the right materials.Could anybody pls help me with a study plan?

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 am
if you have this kind of time - ( with 3 hours of study time on weekdays and 10 hours of study on weekends and might vary) - then you should definitely get the Manhattan GMAT study guides... they will definitely get you to a 600 at least.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants