The unthinkable happened to me at the GMAT!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi friends

Gave my GMAT a week back and blanked out completely at the test. So much so that i had to cancel my scores.I never thought of cancelling my score even in my dreams but trust me i could not even give 10 % of my potential to the test. Cancelling the score was the only option available to me.
I would like to share with u my story and experience at the GMAT so that none of you repeat the mistakes that i did. I did not have a very early start studying for the exam(Thats ok for some people but only if u can put in exceptional amount of effort in that time period). Booked my exam 2.5 months in advance. But the real good effort that i put into my exam was 3 weeks before my test date when i took a leave from work. These 3 weeks i gave it my all,especially the last week,especially the last day(MY BIGGEST MISTAKE). I studied for almost 10-12 hrs on the last day.I forced myself to bed at 10 pm my exam being at 9 am. I thought to myself 8 hrs sleep was more than enough,but could not sleep all nite. I lay in my bed all nite trying hard to sleep but sleep just refused to come. The maximum i must've slept the nite before my exam might have been 2 hrs. I did read on the forums that one should not study much in the last week. But i thought to myself that everybody is different and i follow my normal method of study i.e Study till the last day. Actually i tried to refrain myself from studying on the last day but there was a greed in me to finish as much as i can. Cover as many strategies/notes/books as i can. GUYZ PLZZZ DNT DO THAT!!! Just leave your books far away on the Last 2 days.I knw its easier said than done but i've experienced the burn 1st hand.
I really dont know what to do now. I was planning to send my applications by the 15th of November. But now i cant give my GMAT and get a score until 15th NOV. I feel really dejected and disheartened. I am totally confused as to what to do. Should i give my GMAT again?I dont want to apply beyond the 2nd round of applications as i think it will really affect my chances of getting into a decent university.

by bsandhyav » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 am
Hey People

This is wot my preparation was like before my test on 14th Oct.

OG11-Almost the entire SC,CR,RC. Except 1st 20 and last 10 Q's of each section
OG11-PS:Last 30 Q's;DS:Last 30 Q's
OG Verbal review- Solved the entire book but could not find to analyse my mistakes in this book
Manhattan SC-Thorough study of this book. The strategies were on the tip of my tongue
Manhattan CR-Read through
Spidey's Notes and Sahil's Grammar Notes-Did these on the last day. I thought while i was going through the verbal section the relevant tricks/catches that i read in these notes surfaced on to my mind as soon as i read the Q.
Math Fundabooks- Read through the math fundabooks for CAT(An entrance exam for entry into the IIM's).These books are supposed to have a quant level much higher than G-MAT.

GMAT Prep1:590 Q45 V27::3 weeks before the GMAT(This was my 1st test)
GMAT Prep2:640 Q47 V30::2 weeks before the GMAT
GMAT Prep3:630 Q47 V30::3 days before the GMAT

Kaplan CAT1:570 Q38 V31
Kaplan CAT2:560 Q38 V28

MGMAT Free Online Test:590 Q41 V31 (1week before the test)

I want to score a 700+ without any mistakes, this time i give my GMAT. Please advice me on the strategy i should follow to reach my goal in a limited time frame such that i can send my applications for the 2nd round. Please suggest an ideal course of action for me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by mikart0708 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:10 am
My target was between 650 to 700 to get closer to 700. I got a 700 in my second attempt (Q50 / V34). The first time I gave GMAT I got a 610 and I was pretty disappointed. By then I gave a lot of practice tests including some from Kaplan, Crack GMAT and 800 score. In those tests I scored close to 650 - 670 and I thought I was close to my target. 3 days before giving the actual GMAT I used the actual prep software and gave the GMAT Prep tests and very disappointingly got a 620 and a 600 and as the prep tests proved I got a 610 in my first attempt(Q47 / V28).

I knew if I get close to 33 / 34 in verbal - I can get closer to 700. I went thru the Sentence correction and started preparing flash cards - 3 to 4 flash cards for each of the chapter. It took a week for me to learn all of the details in the Sentence correction. Then I started practicing the OG - 11 Sentence correction - started doing 30 to 40 questions per day. I completed them - I got 72 % correct out of the 130 or 140 that were there. Incrementally I started learning new topics each week - critical reasoning, reading comprehension. Also I did the quant in parallel. I came to a stage, as some one suggested in this forum, where I was practicing some SC, RC and CR each day. By the time I did Verbal Review I got 82 % SC correct, 75 % CR correct. After completing all of the Manhattan GMAT CATs, I went to the MBA.COM and purchased their paper tests - which comprises of approximately 55 verbal questions and 50 quant questions per test. There were 9 of them. I did 7 Quant papers and 9 Verbal papers. Between Kaplan, Crack GMAT, 800 Score, Manhattan GMAT and GMAC official site I must have done over 3500 - 4000 practice questions. The best were from GMAC web site - obviously closest to the GMAT exam and next best were Manhattan GMAT. I would recommed those two would be sufficient.

by bsandhyav » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:05 am
Thanx a lot mikart0708. I will definitely use your advice. But i would like to knw wot was the gap between the 2 exams u gave? Is 20-25 days of prep (2hrs/day) sufficient? I dont think i will be able to give more than that on weekdays and abt 5-6 hrs on weekends!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by mikart0708 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 am
my suggestion - don't fous on the number of hours u study on the weekdays / weekend. I had a busy schedule - working in Verizon as a manager with a very hectic schedule and 2 young kids - both less than 24 months - didn't mean to give personal info but the point is focus on how u resolve a problem

The way I did was when I practiced - I 'clocked' myself but never to do the question in a hurry but to focus on the question and on an average of 10 questions to note how long I took - Between the OG-11, Verbal Review and the 9 test papers from MBA.Com I finally ended up doing SC @ 90 seconds speed (this is after a lot of practice - not the first intial 100 or so questions). CR and RC almost @ 2 mins per question.

But really what is important is understanding the question. Like for SC - the biggest thing is identifying the mistake, in CR understanding the question type and then checking for the answers and RC going thru those passaged and forming a skeleton sketch / headline list - whichever.

Bottom line focus on getting the answers correct with the right strategy and because of the number of questions u have between the OG - 11, Verbal Review, Quant Review and the 9 test papers - you would automatically improve ur pace.....