A Gmat Quant Score of 47

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

A Gmat Quant Score of 47

by Verne_Lundquist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:12 pm
Hi,

If you could, just forget the work experience/undergrad GPA component for a second, and focus on the GMAT score as if it were in a vacuum.

I received a 740 (97%) on the GMAT. My verbal score was a 44 (97%), my quant score was a 47 (78%), and my AWA score was a 5.5.

I am quite satisfied with the overall score and honestly, pleased with my performance on the quantitative section. I am, alas, a bit upset that a quant score of 47 translates to a meager 78% percentile position.

How would the adcoms of schools like Wharton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Northwestern view a 47 on the quant section?
Is it passable enough to let them know I can handle analytical courses? I have solid (not great, but definitely above average) math skills and I had very little to no trouble in my undergrad finance/stats/economics courses, but there just seem to be so many blasted (no offense) mathematically blessed Indian/Asian IT/Engineer people taking the GMAT these days, and they all seem to be lounging around in the top 20% of the quantitative scores.

Based solely on the above, would these adcoms be pissed or think I was a rotten egg because I didn't score higher than a 47?

Thanks in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 am
Hello,

A 78% is not far below the desired basic level of 80%. If you have performed well in quantitative coursework, which it seems that you have (at least Bs in most relevant courses), the adcom will definitely take that fact into account; it will be an important positive factor. From the information you've provided, I suggest not worrying about the quant score. The adcom looks at the application holistically.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com