Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by mpt78 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:02 am
31 yr old White Male
730 GMAT
2.7 Undergrad GPA in English Lit. from Hampden Sydney College
Currently I'm an Options Risk Analyst for an Options Volatility Arbitrage Hedge Fund
Former Options Trader on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade

My undergrad GPA was largely influenced by my alcoholism and drug abuse(heroin, methamphetamine)during college. After graduating my parents kicked me out of the house becuase of my substance abuse problems, I was literally homeless for nearly a year, sleeping in woods at night, and panhandling for drug money during the day. At the age of 24 I went into a rehab program and have been clean ever since. I assume I need to mention this in my optional resume. As far as my career path goes- how an english major becomes a derivatives risk analyst: I started clerking on the trading floor of the CBOT after leaving rehab, became a market maker (trader) after 1.5 years clerking, and I have spent the past 3.5 years as a trading risk analyst/hedge trader for a hedge fund with 200 million in Assets under management.
What are my chances at Chicago, Wharton, and MIT?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm
They are good, my friend. Your story is just the kind of memorable and unique fodder that committees drool over. FRankly as a white male, you need a killer story to differentiate yourself in a very large pool of white male applicants. If you do any volunteer work helping addicts that would really add to your story.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options