HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HELP!

by seeker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 pm
Hello All,
I gave my GMAT last week and scored a miserable 650(Q44, V34).
My prep included, OG10, Princeton review and Kaplan Premier, 1000 series
I've booked a date for SEP15th as i need a score of 700+ to target the best B schools. My scores on the practice tests have been as follows(before the actual GMAT)
GPREP---680/710/730
Princeton---700/690/710...
I am dejected and lost as i just dont seem to think of a way out of this hole,,
Can someone debrief or advise me on about Manhattan test series and material and do i have enough time to take it and complete it
please do advise,,,

cheers
The SEEKer!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by maolivie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:50 am
650 is still a great score, it won't kill you as long as you have something else to show. If you are relying on just the test score though, then it should probably be worked on since you will be competing with those who score 700 plus

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:22 pm
650 is hardly a miserable score. A 550, yes, but not 650.

Were you feeling particularly stressed during the test? Your GMATPrep and PR scores are pretty close to each other, and probably fairly indicative of how you could do on the real thing. Try to figure out what went wrong on test day, and go from there.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm
Yes, 650 is 84th percentile, a good score. The schools do not require a 700+. The top schools do have a median score in the low 700s, but median means half of their admitted students have scores below that level. I say this not to discourage you from taking the test again - if you want to, you should - but to let you know that this is not, by any means, a disaster. I know people who have gotten into top 10 schools (recently) with low 600 scores.

A GMAT score will never get you into b-school, and a 650 or higher will never get you rejected. (That doesn't mean you'll get in - it just means that, if they reject you, it will be for some combination of reasons and the GMAT will not be the major factor in the decision.)

Our courses run for 9 weeks, so you don't have time to complete a course by 15 Sep. You could do some private tutoring, though that is significantly more expensive. You can also buy access to any combination of our materials (hard or online) and study on your own.

Take a practice test ASAP on which you have the ability to generate detailed, question-by-question analyses of your results (our tests generate these reports for you). Identify your weaknesses relative to question types, content areas, pacing, and difficulty levels, and work from there.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me