IF A then B -conditional reasoning-is it GMAT type question?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Saw this question on Manhattan CAT. But the below looks more like a LSAT question. Can we expect such questions in actual GMAT.

If, in a tennis tournament, a match reaches a fifth-set tiebreak, the lower-ranked player always loses the tiebreak (and, therefore, the match). If Rafael, the second-ranked player, wins a tournament by beating Roger, the top-ranked player, then the match must not have included a fifth-set tiebreak.

Which of the following arguments most closely mimics the reasoning used in the above argument?

a) If a woman with a family history of twins gets pregnant three times, she will have one set of twins. Jennifer, who falls into this category, had two sets of twins, so she must not have gotten pregnant exactly three times.

b) If a salesman sells more product than anyone else in a calendar year, then he will earn an all-expenses-paid vacation. Joe earned an all-expense-paid vacation, so he must have sold more product than anyone else for the year.

c) A newspaper can charge a 50% premium for ads if its circulation surpasses 100,000; if the circulation does not pass 100,000, therefore, the newspaper can't charge any kind of premium for ads.

d) If a student is in the top 10% of her class, she will earn a college scholarship. Anna is not in the top 10% of her class, so she will not earn a scholarship.

e) All of the players on a football team receive a cash bonus if the team wins the Super Bowl. If quarterback Tom Brady earned a cash bonus last year, he must have been a member of the winning Super Bowl team
A kudos or thanks would do great if my answer has helped you :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:48 pm
Conditional reasoning at this level can appear on the GMAT. This is pretty straightforward. If A happens then B will happen. Since B did not happen then A must not have happened. This is called the "contrapositive."

If it snows then the temperature must have dropped below zero celsius. If the temperature stays above zero then we know it did not snow. Contrapositive.

I certainly agree that the parallel reasoning type of question is much more an LSAT type so you can approach the question more as a general opportunity to improve your reasoning skills.

Does that help?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nash.8087 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm
Considering David's explanation, answer should be A. What is OA?

by zeza » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:42 am
I would go with A

by seamaster1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:06 am
I select A