Kaplan Vs. Princeton Review

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan Vs. Princeton Review

by megank » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:10 pm
Hi,

I am just starting my GMAT studying and want to know whether I should sign up for a Kaplan class or a Princeton Review class. Is one better than another or are they both about the same? PR is slightly cheaper. Do people feel like these classes are worth all the money?

Thanks!
Thanks,
Megan

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by txeconomist » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 pm
I am currently taking the PR class and these are my thoughts.

First, figure out what your goals are. Are you shooting for a 600 or a 750…? Because, if you are shooting for a 750, I don’t think there is a class that will take you there. Unless you are a genius, getting there is going to come from hard work outside the classroom.

What I would do is take a PR practice test and see where you stand. If you score a 600 or something, Id probably forego the class and work independently. I think there is a good chance that the 3 hours you are sitting in class once a week might be more beneficial if you are really focusing on the weaknesses you need to shore up.

I think the material benefit of taking a prep course is that it keeps you on track/ gives you guidance on how to take on the GMAT prep in manageable chunks. That being said, I’m sure there are sufficient resources on this site that will do the same thing. For me though, having that class every week keeps me honest. If you need the reinforcement, then take the course.

If I had to do it all over again, id probably study independently, and then after realizing what it is I suck at, spend the 1200 bucks on a tutor to help me with the weakness I couldn’t fix on my own. My .02.