To top 10 or not to top 10?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

To top 10 or not to top 10?

by bbkixx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 am
Hello all,

I've been researching MBA programs for the past year or so (on and off), and it seems like the more I research the more I am becoming confused. I've read one should enroll in a program that best fits their needs, but I have also read if you do not attend a top 10 school you are just wasting your time and money. From this it sounds like what's best and will fit your needs is a top 10 school because everything else is a waste...

I like to think it is hype, as the program rankings are mostly around to sell papers and create self-fulfilling prophecies for participating schools, but it's hard to look past when reading posts here. It would appear everyone on this board wants to be accepted by the same 5-8 schools, and I wonder if this is due to the hype surrounding these schools, or are these schools the only ones that actually matter?

Boston University is my current number 1 pick. However, my concern is they are usually ranked between 30-50 something on the top school lists. Would I be selling myself short in any way by enrolling in their program when I could possibly be accepted into a more prestigious one?

I have 3.65 undergrad GPA, 4 years work experience in advertising and pre-press, and a decent chance at scoring high on GMAT.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
bbkixx
Is this still cool?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm
I think that it really depends on what you want to get out of business school. If reputation is all that matters, then the top 10 schools probably serve your needs. However, if quality if education is what matters, then you have really great choices beyond the top 10. If BU has a program or specialty that no other school can offer, then it may be the best fit for you.

Try not to get too hung up on the rankings. They matter to some extent, but it shouldn't be the most important factor in your decision.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school