Sentence correction explanation

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sadowski » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 am
2 problems:

First of all, many people misuse the phrase "due to". To make sure that you're using it correctly, replace it with the phrase "caused by". Does it still make sense? If so, "due to" is used correctly. If not, then re-phrase it to use "because" or something else altogether.

Ex 1: The game was postponed because of rain. OR
Ex 2: Rain was the cause of the game postponement.

Second, there should not be an extra "s" on "rains". It looks like it was added to make rain plural, but that's not how it works. Unless the sentence requires it, such as "I always get soaked when it rains", make sure you don't try to make the word plural by adding "s" to the end.

Hope this helps.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gte793n » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:32 pm
Sadowski wrote:2 problems:

First of all, many people misuse the phrase "due to". To make sure that you're using it correctly, replace it with the phrase "caused by". Does it still make sense? If so, "due to" is used correctly. If not, then re-phrase it to use "because" or something else altogether.

Ex 1: The game was postponed because of rain. OR
Ex 2: Rain was the cause of the game postponement.

Second, there should not be an extra "s" on "rains". It looks like it was added to make rain plural, but that's not how it works. Unless the sentence requires it, such as "I always get soaked when it rains", make sure you don't try to make the word plural by adding "s" to the end.

Hope this helps.
To add Sadowski's comment, if you really want to use "due to" in the sentence:

"The game's postponement was due to rain."

I saw this from one of our downloadable notes.