diff between without/with no from GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
I came across the following sentence, sorry I did not write down all the possibilities, just the correct answer::

With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

Right answer is:
with no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

Some choices started with the word “without”. My question is what is the difference between “without” and “with no”
Isis Alaska

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jrbrown2 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:04 am
IMO, when a sentence begins w/ the word "Without" the sentence sounds hypothetical. When a sentence begins w/ the word "With no" the sentence sounds actual.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by arunjithp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 pm
I came across the following sentence, sorry I did not write down all the possibilities, just the correct answer::

With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

Right answer is:
with no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
Some choices started with the word “without”. My question is what is the difference between “without” and “with no”

Without predators... brings in a feeling that there are no predatory at all ...

with no predators.. in this sentence tells us that there are no predators for the deer..