Ratake with 710 for top California School???

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Can anyone weigh in on whether I should retake the GMAT with a 710 if I have aspirations to attend Stanford (GSB), Berkeley (HAAS), or UCLA (Anderson)? Thanks in advance!!!

Profile:

3.54 / 4.00 Undergrad GPA, Finance Major, Fresno State
In my senior year, crashed several Stanford job fairs and landed a job in NYC with Banc of America Securities as an analyst in their Consumer and Retail Investment Banking Group
After 2 year program I took a corporate development analyst position with United Security Bank, a regional Bank in Fresno, California where I have worked for a year. Been offered a promotion to Controller, but I want to go to B-school in 2008 so I have some ethical issues with taking it.
Challenges: Mother Died shortly after my little brother was born with Down syndrome (I was 12), As the oldest child, helped father raise family (reason for staying in Fresno for school)
Volunteer for Fresno Area Down Syndrome Society
Guest Lecturer at Fresno State
Founder of Organization called “From Bulldog Elite to Wall Street” which helps Fresno State graduates obtain positions at wall street firms
Volunteer at local high school (Coach Volleyball)
Recently recorded solo album (I sing, play guitar, play bass guitar, and play drums)
Giles

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by drhomler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:54 pm
I will preempt my opinion with the caveat that I have not been through the application process, and I am not an admissions professional, but I would say if I were in your position I would not be retaking the test. If I were you I would spend my time compiling a well thought out application rather than trying to get a 720 or 740-your overall score is 96th percentile and you were above the high water mark in both sections moving up to 740, I would think is incrementally negligible in terms of your candidacy. Others might disagree on that point, but I think you need to focus on your career aspirations and your career track to date. The biggest question I would ask is why did you leave finance in NY for a corporate development program in Fresno? (Im not judging your decision mind you but I imagine that the admissions people will want to know). If you have a good "story" your score wont make or break you.

My impression of the process is that it is symbiotic they need you as much as you need them if you are a qualified candidate. In other words if you have great work experience and tons of industry contacts than you are going to fill out the all important "employed within 6 months" and your salary is going to have extras zeros on the end of it which helps boost their rankings.

Your extracurriculars sound strong so you should be solid in that department.

I think you have cleared the GMAT hurdle and it is time ot move on. I went to a small liberal arts school in New England my GPA wasnt as high as yours, I currently work in finance and if I had a 710(havent taken it yet but your score is what I am hoping for) I would not even think twice about moving on with the application process. I really dont know how much more will be gained from a 710+ maybe if you hit 800 perhaps that might make a difference. Hope that helps.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cgiles01 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:17 pm
dr,

Thank you so much for your time and incite. I think you bring up a good point about explaining the move to the admissions people. And to answer that question, I was not too fond of living in the city; I did 2 years of M&A advisory work and wanted to experience the M&A process from an internal standpoint.

Thanks again for your post

Chris
Giles