the gap between 600 TOEFL and 50 percentile on verbal

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Hello friends, pls help

I get 600 score on TOEFL many times but can not get 50 percentile on verbal

some person tell me that my reading skill is not good enough for GMAT verbal. He said that some persons also get 600 score on TOEFL but their reading skill is good enough for GMAT while some persons get 600 score on TOEFL but their reading skill is not enough.

the reason is that some persons who get only 600 score on TOEFL read a lot when they study TOEFL and their reading skill is good enough for GMAT.

If any one already took TOEFL, Pls, tell me how do you study TOEFL. more specific, pls tell me how much did you read while you took TOEFL

I want to know how much you read when you study TOEFL so that I can know if I should read more to fill my deficiency.

waiting for your help

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tnaim » Sat May 29, 2010 3:24 pm
duongthang wrote:Hello friends, pls help

I get 600 score on TOEFL many times but can not get 50 percentile on verbal

some person tell me that my reading skill is not good enough for GMAT verbal. He said that some persons also get 600 score on TOEFL but their reading skill is good enough for GMAT while some persons get 600 score on TOEFL but their reading skill is not enough.

the reason is that some persons who get only 600 score on TOEFL read a lot when they study TOEFL and their reading skill is good enough for GMAT.

If any one already took TOEFL, Pls, tell me how do you study TOEFL. more specific, pls tell me how much did you read while you took TOEFL

I want to know how much you read when you study TOEFL so that I can know if I should read more to fill my deficiency.

waiting for your help
Not sure what you're asking. You start your thread by mentioning that you score 600 on TOEFL and would like to know how to score in the 50percentile in GMAT verbal, and you end the thread by asking about how to fill your preparation deficiency for TOEFL?
anyhow, I'll share with you something that might help. When I did my IELTS exam (TOEFL equivalent) four years ago, I had to do 0 amount of preparation, yet I did very well on it. Same thing happened two years later when I had to take an exam that is similar to TOEFL.
GMAT is a completely different story, however. It is a lot more advanced and tests you on high level English material. Also, preparing for GMAT by studying for TOEFL won't do you any good in my opinion.

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Mon May 31, 2010 9:18 pm
what I want to know is how much a person who get 600 TOEFL and get 50 percentile on GMAT VERBAL read when he or she study TOEFL .

if those person who get 600 on TOEFL and 50 percentile on GMAT VERBAL read more than I read when he/she study TOEFL, I will have to read more because my failure to get 50 percentile on VERBAL SECTION is my lack in reading

there are many persons like me, who get 600 on TOEFL but can not get 50 percentile on VERBAL SECTION. Realizing this fact I conclude that maybe the person who get 600 on TOEFL and 50 percentile on GMAT VERBAL read more than persons who get 600 on TOEFL and fail to get 50 percentile on GMAT VERBAL.

any one who get 600 on TOEFL and get 50 percentile on GMAT VERBAL at the same time, pls, help me to answer my quesion.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tnaim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm
I do agree with you that just scoring 600 on TOEFL does not automatically mean you'll score in the 50th percentile on the GMAT. of course, those people who scored 600 and in the 50th percentile on GMAT must have put a lot of effort for the gmat.
I think it might be a good idea to put the TOEFL aside(score, materials, and all that stuff), and try to focus your efforts on the GMAT. If you need some help with some stuff that's explained on the TOEFL, sure you'll benefit from it I think, but knowing TOEFL materials will not be sufficient for the GMAT.

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:18 am
some person who get 600 TOEFL and 50 percentile on GMAT verbal at the same time, other get 600 TOEFL and take a lot of reading and then get 50 percentile on GMAT verbal section.

I realize the gap here is that the first person read a lot when they get 600 TOEFL.

I realize that I get 600 on TOEFL but do not read enough. so in my case, I have to read a lot now

so, the matter is that some one who get 600 on TOEFL have to read a lot for GMAT verbal.