Need Advice : NYU Part Time Fall 09 Admission

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am planning to apply for NYU Part time MBA Program for Fall 2009
Following are my stats/Profile

29 yr, Indian/Male,Pharmaceutical Professional

GMAT: 660, AWA 4.5
GPA: Masters (Chemical Engg.) Univ. of Maryland College Park: 3.5 , Bachelors (Chemical Engg.): Distinction (Indian Degree, Not sure how it converts to GPA)
Work Exp: 5+ (In USA, Pharma Company) , 1 year (India, Family Owned Manufacturing business)
Profession : Research Scientist, Product Development, Pharmaceutical Industry
Career Accomplishments: Very Good (Developed three products from that passed clinical trials and have been submitted to FDA and awaiting their commercial approval)
Cocurricular Activities: Low

Could you please comment

What are my chances of getting into NYU Stern Part Time program ?

Would my Pharamceutical Background differentiate me from majority of applicant pool which is IT/Finance?

Have recently started working on application. Is it too late to apply for Fall'09 ? Deadline May'15

Last year I noticed that NYU Part time program was accepting applications in late June as well ! Though not planning application around extension. However, does this suggest that they didnt have enough applicantions or they didnt get the right applicant pool ?

Thank you for your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:35 pm
Dear Ricky259,

Thanks for your post! Please see my thoughts below:

1) Academics
Your GPA from the master's degree is competitive. You haven't provided me with enough information about your undergrad to really offer an opinion. What was your percentage? Class ranking? What percentage of your class graduated with 'Distinction'? Did you attend a top school in India like one of the IITs? Your engineering background will be somewhat common in the applicant pool.

2) GMAT
Your GMAT score of 660 is fairly average - right in the middle of the pack at Langone. What were your percentiles on the math and verbal? Did you clear the 80th percentile in each section? Was one area weaker than another? Keep in mind that as an Indian male engineer, you may be compared against applicants in your peer group (a group that typically has higher GMAT scores). If you have only taken the exam once and think you can boost your score with further practice, it might be a good investment of your time...

3) Work Experience
Your work experience sounds very interesting. You are correct in your assumption that you fall into a less-represented group, so this will be an asset. I like the fact that you have tangible accomplishments (drugs going up FDA approval, etc). Are your career goals in this field? What are you looking to do with the MBA? Fast-track a move into management?

4) XCs
Not much to go on here....I'd need more info about your hobbies and outside interests to help assess.

As to your questions, I don't think it's too late to apply by any means. The program often takes applications well into the spring - this is not unique to this year. While I think you could be competitive, I'd need more information regarding your goals, hobbies/activities to provide a more thorough assessment. I also think that your GMAT may currently be holding you back somewhat, so that's an area to consider addressing.

If you'd like assistance with your NYU Langone application, send your resume to [email protected] to set up a free phone call with one of our admissions counselors.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear Graham,
Thank you for your informative and indepth reply.

As per our questions here is the follow-up information
1. Academics
I didnt do my Bachelor's in Engg from IIT. Degree is from Pune University, a respectable university. I had about 66% in Engg. and graduated with Distinction (D). Not sure exactly how many of had D, but typically it is not more than 5-10% of the class. We dont have a system of GPA. However, some students who have applied to US univs. calculate is by dividing their score by average of Top four students in the class and multiply by 4. If done using the methodology GPA is 3.8
However, my masters is from a US Top 20 univ. (Univ.of Maryland College Park)

2.GMAT
660 (84%)
Q 48 (85%) V 34 (70%)
This was my first attempt at GMAT. I spend about 50-55 days and took few mock tests before the test date.
Could have done much better in Quant, but I overtook my break after essays by 3 minutes, and got anxious when came back to test computer to find out about the mishap and mentally couldnt perform ideally thereafter.
I believe I can boost my score by some more practice, but that would push me to next semester for application !

3.Career Goals
I plan to stay withing Pharma Industry. However, with MBA I want to move from R&D to Product Managment, which entails product branding, positioning in the market, evaluating in/out -licensing deals with R&D stragetic partners and eventually move to Pharmaceutical business development.

4. XCs
I was involved in lot XCs in Bachelors in India. Worked as Secretary of Chemical Engg Students Association. I was instrumental in working as liason between Industry and Chemical Engg. students body. Got various sponsorship from Industry leaders for the Associations and organized seminars, inviting Chemical Industry leaders to share their experience and vision with Chemical Engg Students.

At very early in my childhood , I was actively involved in our family business which entails manufacuring, and distribution.

However, since I moved to US I have not been involved in any XCs.

Again, thank you for your help.