GMAT - 650 (Q46,V34, AWA- 5.0) - need advice

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Here is my profile.

Indian Male

Age-26

Engineering Degree in Computer Science with 72% (Don't know how it will convert into GPA). Can somebody tell me how much it would be in terms of GPA approximately.

Pursuing MS in Software Engineering from Arizona State University (completing in April 2010)GPA Avg till now - 4.0

GMAT - 650 (Q46,V34, AWA- 5.0)

Profession - IT - Software Engineer with American MNC

Work Exp - 5 years (by Aug 2010)

International Work Exp - 7 months - US

Target Schools - Europe and Asia Pacific colleges.
Some specific schools are
Insead
ISB, India
Oxford
Cambridge
SP Jain,Dubai
NUS,Singapore
Nanyang, Singapore
GSIM, Sydney
other UK schools ranked 20-50 category.

I am looking for accelerated 1 year residential program so not considering any US colleges. I would like to continue in IT after MBA in a Management or Consultant role.
As per my initial analysis, my GMAT score is close to the avg GMAT score of most of these institute except ISB and Insead.

Career Growth - Good

Co-curricular activities - Avg

Please advice whether I should concentrate more on my application and essays or I need to again appear for GMAT for better score.

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 am
Dear Maddy_Kaps,

Thanks for your post! Please see my general thoughts below:

1) Assuming you can maintain your strong grades in your master's program, I think that your educational profile will likely be sufficient. Of course, some of this depends on where the 72% placed you (ranking-wise)in your ugrad class and where you went to school (one of the IITs?).

2) As to the GMAT, while a 650 might be close to the average for many of the schools on your list, it's well below average at INSEAD and ISB - and likely below average at some of the other programs (Oxford and Cambridge) when you look at Indian IT professionals who get into these schools (keep in mind that you fall into an 'over-subscribed' portion of the applicant pool as an Indian, male, engineer working in IT).

3) Beyond the fact that your GMAT is a bit low, you have a lot of time before applying this fall to take it a second time and improve. In fact, most programs might wonder why you haven't bothered to retake if you apply with this score (since many applicants sit the exam multiple times and the schools take the best score).

4) One final benefit of scoring better on the exam is that you may open up some doors that would likely be closed at present (INSEAD, ISB, Columbia's J-Term, LBS's fast-tracked option, etc).

5) Obviously, there are some grey areas here, such as the specifics surrounding your present work experience and XCs (leadership opportunities, teamwork exposure, etc). For a more in-depth assessment, send along your resume to our [email protected] line.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.