Seeking advice for Round 2 Apps - Am really confused

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710
Hi Experts,

I am an Indian Candidate(Male), have a 710 GMAT (50,35,5.0) . My profile is as follows:

Professional Experience

Approximately 4.4 Yrs by Sep 2010
2.5 yrs in business consulting for PWC - IBM BCS, majorly focussing on areas of process improvement & strategy across the telecom domain for leading operators in India,Singapore & malaysia.

1 Yr experience in a singapore based start-up company, was responsible for account management & business development. {Delivered tangible results there as well, with new account wins & target completion}

Now currently working in Kualalumpur, malaysia for the past 8 months for a A large consulting organization again in the process & strategy consulting domain for a leading telecom operator.

Had a promotion in a span of 2 yrs in India as a senior consultant which is unprecedented at my level (many people take atleast 3-4 yrs overall minimum for a similar jump)

Acads
6 Years of education in Moscow, Russia.
B-Tech (Computer Science) - 67% (Average) from an Indian University (decent Univ)
PG Diploma in Telecom - 70.3 % (Top 5% in Class) (India - decent university)

Extra-Curricular
Not very great - a year of association with a old age home & regular participant in blood donation camps.
Was part of the placement committee at pg level for a year.
Was also part of Annual research forecast conducted by our institute , whci was presented by 2 people(I being one of them) to a forum of people from the Telecom Industry (Regulators, C LEvel execs etc)
(6 month exercise)

In future I want to get into consulting(strat) & long term - Social Entrepreunership.

Which Colleges would be a good fit for me , i am confused over the fllowing choices :-
1. Booth
2. MIT
3. Tuck
4.IE Business school
5. Yale
6.Ross
7.UCLA
8.Darden
9. Cornell

I want to apply to just 3-4 schools ... Can you please advise ?

Regards,
Kiran

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 am
You cannot go wrong with any of the listed schools. So the best way to decide on a school is to consider fit. Which are the 3-4 schools you relate to the most, which school's culture aptly matches yours, what kind of an environment do you want to be in the next 2 years. These questions are some of the aspects you can consider while deciding on a school.

For Example, are you keen on case based teaching. If so Darden would be a great fit, if not you could consider schools like Booth or MIT where there is a good mix of both, case-based and lecture based learning.

If your are focused on social entrepreneurship then Yale offers a great platform for that. If you want to experience a very different culture in a new country you could consider IE. But if you are looking for a 2 year program IE might not be a good option.

Also, another best way to gauge fit with a schools is to either visit the school, sit in a classroom or by networking with current students and alumni. You might have people working in your organization who have graduated from one of these school. Maybe they would be a good start. Also many MBA students have a personal blog, you could google to find one which describes their experiences.

Your motto should be similar to finding a life partner. The school you go to and the MBA are life long. So be really sure it will fit your personality.

All the very best and Happy researching!

Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

by kiran.raze » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:31 pm
Thanks HK for your honest feedback. Very frankly I have been unable to network enough with the students at these institutions to get an insider's view ( I do have some idea - courtesy - blog forums and some secondary research).

Also, another concern which i had was regarding the quality of my acads - as I believe, brands like booth & MIT etc do not look favorably on non- IIT / top tier undergrads .... I am not sure abt this, but wanted to clarify it so I can be absolutely sure of what my weaknesses could be while applying to these institutes ...

Kiran

by kiran.raze » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:36 am
hey there guys ,

I hoped to receive more responses , feedback & help !! Please feel free to give in ur expert opinions , if you can !

regards,
Kiran

by kiran.raze » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:37 pm
hey experts,

no suggestions , come on I am sure u guys can help me out here !

Kiran