00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A bowl contains equal numbers of red, orange, green, blue, and yellow candies. Kaz eats all of the green candies and half of the orange ones. Next, he eats half of the remaining pieces of each color. Finally, he eats red and yellow candies in equal proportions until the total number of remaining candies of all colors equals 15% of the original number. What percent of the red candies remain?

A. 0%
B. 5%
C. 10%
D.15%
E. 20%

OA A

Source: Manhattan Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

red candies

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 26, 2019 3:10 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:A bowl contains equal numbers of red, orange, green, blue, and yellow candies. Kaz eats all of the green candies and half of the orange ones. Next, he eats half of the remaining pieces of each color. Finally, he eats red and yellow candies in equal proportions until the total number of remaining candies of all colors equals 15% of the original number. What percent of the red candies remain?

A. 0%
B. 5%
C. 10%
D.15%
E. 20%
Let R=O=G=B=Y=20, for a total of 100 marbles.

Kaz eats all of the green candies and half of the orange ones.
R=20, O=10, G=0, B=20, Y=20

He eats half of the remaining pieces of each color.
R=10, O=5, G=0, B=10, Y=10

He eats red and yellow candies in equal proportions until the total number of remaining candies of all colors equals 15% of the original number.
Since only 15 of the original 100 candies must remain, Kaz must eat the 10 remaining red and 10 remaining yellow candies, leaving only O=5 and B=10:
R=0, O=5, G=0, B=10, Y=0

What percent of the red candies remain?
(new R)/(original R) = 0/20 = 0%

The correct answer is A.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue May 28, 2019 4:42 pm
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:A bowl contains equal numbers of red, orange, green, blue, and yellow candies. Kaz eats all of the green candies and half of the orange ones. Next, he eats half of the remaining pieces of each color. Finally, he eats red and yellow candies in equal proportions until the total number of remaining candies of all colors equals 15% of the original number. What percent of the red candies remain?

A. 0%
B. 5%
C. 10%
D.15%
E. 20%

OA A

Source: Manhattan Prep
Let's let the initial number of candies of each color be 12 (and thus the total number of candies is 60). So he eats all 12 green candies and 6 orange candies at first. Next he eats 3 orange, 6 red, 6 blue and 6 yellow candies. Thus far, we have

60 - (12 + 6 + 3 + 6 x 3) = 60 - 39 = 21

candies left. At this point, there are 3 orange, 6 red, 6 blue and 6 yellow candies left. Since 15% of 60 is 9, he must eat 12 more candies to get to 9. However, since he eats an equal number of of red and yellow candies, he must eat 6 red and 6 yellow candies to have 9 candies left. Therefore, there will be no more red candies left.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage