Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Source: GMAT Prep

Peter and Tom shared the driving on a certain trip. If Peter and Tom both drove for the same amount of time, but Peter only drove 2/5 of the total distance, what was the ratio of Peter's average speed to Tom's average speed?

A. 1:5
B. 2:5
C. 1:2
D. 3:5
E. 2:3

The OA is E

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 pm
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Source: GMAT Prep

Peter and Tom shared the driving on a certain trip. If Peter and Tom both drove for the same amount of time, but Peter only drove 2/5 of the total distance, what was the ratio of Peter's average speed to Tom's average speed?

The OA is E
Given that Peter only drove 2/5 of the total distance, Tom must drove 1 - 2/5 = 3/5 of the total distance.

Since time is same, the ratio of Peter's average speed to Tom's average speed = Ratio of their distances = (2/5) : (3/5) = 2 : 3

The correct answer: E

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: GMAT Classes Birmingham | GMAT Prep Courses Singapore | LSAT Prep Courses Chicago | Manhattan SAT Prep Classes | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:39 am
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Source: GMAT Prep

Let the time for each driver = 1 hour.
Let the total distance = 5 miles, implying that Peter's distance = (2/5)(5) = 2 miles and that Tom's distance = 5-2 = 3 miles.
Since Peter drives 2 miles in 1 hour, Peter's rate = 2 mph.
Since Tom drives 3 miles in 1 hour, Tom's rate = 3 mph.
Thus:
(Peter's speed):(Tom's speed) = 2:3.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3