00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Car B starts at point X and moves clockwise around a circular track at a constant rate of 2 mph. Ten hours later, Car A leaves from point X and travels counter-clockwise around the same circular track at a constant rate of 3 mph. If the radius of the track is 10 miles, for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them (measured around the curve of the track)?

A. 4pi - 1.6
B. 4pi + 8.4
C. 4pi + 10.4
D. 2pi - 1.6
E. 2pi - 0.8

OA B

Source: Manhattan Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:52 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Car B starts at point X and moves clockwise around a circular track at a constant rate of 2 mph. Ten hours later, Car A leaves from point X and travels counter-clockwise around the same circular track at a constant rate of 3 mph. If the radius of the track is 10 miles, for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them (measured around the curve of the track)?

A. 4pi - 1.6
B. 4pi + 8.4
C. 4pi + 10.4
D. 2pi - 1.6
E. 2pi - 0.8
π ≈ 3.

Car B is traveling for more than 10 hours, so answer choices D and E are too small, and A is unlikely. The correct answer is either B or C.

Circumference of track = 20π ≈ 60 miles.
In 10 hours, distance for B = 2*10 = 20 miles.
60-20 = 40 miles between A and B.
A and B now have to travel the 40 miles between them and then -- after they meet -- keep traveling in opposite directions until there is another 12 miles between them. So the total distance that they need to travel is 40+12 = 52 miles.
When things work together, we can add their rates. Combined rate for A+B = 3+2 = 5 miles/hour.
Time for A+B = Distance/Rate = 52/5 = 10.4 hours.
Since B traveled for 10 hours before A joined in, the total time for B = 10 + 10.4 = 20.4 hours.
Only B works: 4π + 8.4 ≈ 12 + 8.4 = 20.4.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3