I hit the ceiling, I am stuck. Help me.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I hit the ceiling, I am stuck. Help me.

by timothyrs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm
I have practiced GMAT like CRAZY. Literally crazy. And I have not been able to pass the 724 target.
My first actual and official test will be on the 10/20/2012, which is in 5 days time.

I spent 3 months,
- All the OG is done
- Veritas
- Kaplan
- Powerscore
- LSAT Powercore (for verbal)
- Manhattan

And here is the break down of my latest GMAT Practice 2 score: (1st try)
660 total 49 Quant 30 Verbal 8 IR

Past scores average 25 tests
Total min 550 avg 640 max 700
Quant min 45 avg 49 max 52
Verbal min 12 avg 27 max 36
IR min 4 avg 7 max 8

It seems that I cracked most of the math problems
Math is easy for me, minus the word problems
IR is not that hard for me because i see tht kind of problem a lot
Verbal simply kills me. 30/60 isn't as good as I thought

BUT,
My capability in English language is pathetic. After 3 grueling months memorizing all the idioms, grammar rules, and language jargon, I still find it difficult to get past 30.

I am somewhat really discouraged. The ratio of mistakes done in SC : CR : RC to the closest integer is 8 : 4 : 5.

Somehow, I can't identify what type of questions are they
Other times, I made careless mistakes in reading small little detail that is hidden in the words.
I also sometimes can't tell what they are referring to. (pronoun error and parallel)

Since my GPA is 3.65 + graduate with honors from a US university (not particularly good, largely held back by writing based classes), my work experience of 7 years since age 14 are only pre-graduation work (consulting, non-menial, non-managerial,and high level assistant, not office boy), probably mediocre or average sounding application essay, I really wish I could get 720 or better to cover my weakness in these other areas.

These are my options:
1. Just use whatever score, and apply to whatever school that accepts me (apply round 2)
2. Retake it in November, and apply to whatever school that accepts me (apply round 2)
3. Wait until my OPT expires while studying (6 more months) for GMAT and apply for next year (apply round 1)

Things to consider:
1. I got enough paying job to just live for a while in the US.
2. Did the admissions officer give a little handicap for foreign students?
3. Does round 1 vs round 2 matter?
4. My default option would be take now, retake November, retake next May/June.
5. My current budget is only $2000/application year for admissions fee and GMAT fees. I can't afford more.
6. If I get into any top 5 business schools by end of 2013, I will get financed in full + allowance by a certain company. Otherwise, MBA will be tough on my finances.
7. I'm afraid that in 6 months I will grew lazy/ tired of GMAT.
8. English language is my 5th language. (4 other is local and regional Asian Languages)

Also, what should I learn to improve my SC, RC, CR?

No negative comments please, I am already discouraged enough.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by georgeanand » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 am
I understand your plight.I was on the same boat.

Boosting your verbal score in extremely frustrating.

I feel that the strategies you employ for one verbal question, is not working for another question.

So what I suggest is that you study questions of one type together. for example all the weaken argument together or all the errors due to idiomatic expressions together..
Try to generalize strategies from a group of questions. i was able to push the verbal score by 5-6 points by doing this...

Try it out.. If you are not able to do it.. check my youtube video channel-GMAT superia.. how to use OG to study.

Hope it helps.
regards
George
www.gmatsuperia.com
Have fun cracking GMAT
https://letsgmat.blocked
www.semanticslearning.com
GMAT classes at chennai,India

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:02 am
If the ratio of your mistakes in SC:CR:RC is 8:4:5, then that means you need to full focus on SC for the time being and become really good at it. I'd strongly recommend Aristotle SC Grail.I had used its earliest edition and found it to be good. The focus of the book was on implementing the concepts in questions. Now that they have launched its 3rd edition, i am sure it'll be much better than the 1st edition

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 am
You are doing very well buddy, cheer up, a score of 36 can always be take to a score of 41-42. You still have 5 days and as Rishi rightly identified that SC is a problem area, I would suggest taking it up on priority.

Spend some 2-3 hours today and look back at your previous results in SC. Out of all 8-9 sreas which constitute SC pic 3 worst areas. It may be tense, or modifiers or idioms. Once you identify these 3-4 areas, just go through their concepts once again and do some light practice. I think that should be your aim before this GMAT exam. Do not concentrate on all admission related issues right now. Just focus on the exam and give it your best shot. Rest we will figure out after the exam.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

by timothyrs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am
Thanks georgeanand, rishi raj, ivyctor2010! I also fell sick the other day, and now I am much better. I hope All is well when I take the GMAT test. Anw, Thank you for your suggestions, I will try to concentrate on the SC part first and later on try again, if my GMAT score is still unsatisfactory.

by timothyrs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 am
Guess What! I did a retest on GMAT official test no 1,

This is my Stats: 660
IR:8
Quant: 12/37 wrong 48/60 (2 blank)
Verbal: 15/41 wrong 34/60

IR: 12/12 correct
Quant: 48 I didn't finish the last 2 questions (I was distracted by my pet) + few careless
Verbal: (9 SC almost all, 3 Hard RC, 3 Medium CR)

Puke rainbows...

What's wrong with my SC!!!

Anw, I gonna read aristotle's sc guide and brush up all my SC again!

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 am
u gotto try e-gmat sc course
Regards,
Sach

by timothyrs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm
Hey All!!! THanks!!! I got 730!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm
Congrats ! how much in Quant and verbal?
Regards,
Sach

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Very Well done, rock the dance floor, have a party, you deserve the score after tremendous hardwork you put in :)
timothyrs wrote:Hey All!!! THanks!!! I got 730!!!!!!!!!!!
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en