On the number line shown, is zero halfway

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650
On the number line shown, is zero halfway between r and s

<-----------------r---------s----t----------->

1)s is to the right of zero
2)The distance between t and r is the same as the distance between t and -s

In my opinion the answer to this question should be B. However GMAC says that the answer is C.

My reasoning is that, for the distance between rand t to be equal to the distance between t and -s, r should be equal to -s. Therefore statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer this question.

Can someone please explain how the answer is C

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780
utopian_wanderer wrote:On the number line shown, is zero halfway between r and s

In my opinion the answer to this question should be B. However GMAC says that the answer is C.

My reasoning is that, for the distance between rand t to be equal to the distance between t and -s, r should be equal to -s. Therefore statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer this question.

r could be equal to -s, but it doesn't need to be, at least not if all three of our unknowns are negative. We could have r = -4, s = -2 and t = -1, for example.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760
Ian Stewart wrote:
utopian_wanderer wrote:On the number line shown, is zero halfway between r and s

r could be equal to -s, but it doesn't need to be, at least not if all three of our unknowns are negative. We could have r = -4, s = -2 and t = -1, for example.
Your reasoning is not totally wrong that "for the distance between r and t to be equal to the distance between t and -s, r should be equal to -s." But you are missing one thing here that it will be true only if we know what type of number (+/-) s is, which we get to know only if we take statement 1 into account also. My answer is C
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by navalpike » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:46 pm
Although I am always grateful for Ian’s explanation, I doubt that I would have been able to apply this reasoning on test day. Actually the first time I saw the question, I did not think of the possibility of all three (r, s, & t) being negative.

Is there a more certain (maybe algebraic?) option for solving 2)?
For example, I am sure we could write 2) as

2)The distance between t and r is the same as the distance between t and –s

AB. VALUE ( t – r) = AB. VALUE ( t + s)

(Read : t-r between absolute value bars and t+s between absolute value bars)

Is there an algebraic way from here that might lead to ‘Insufficient’?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by pkw209 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:56 pm
This question takes way longer than 2 minutes to figure out.

Any shortcuts?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jeemat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm
Can anyone explain how this can be accomplished in 2 minutes? Or like they asked above, how they would structure their work?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm
jeemat wrote:Can anyone explain how this can be accomplished in 2 minutes? Or like they asked above, how they would structure their work?
I'd suggest beginning by imagining the possible locations of zero on the number line shown. When we consider statement 2 alone, we know that -s is just the reflection of s through zero on the number line. Certainly s could be to the right of zero, and zero could be halfway between r and s:

---r---0---s---t---

so we just need to see if it's possible that s is to the left of zero. Indeed it is possible, provided all of our numbers are negative:

--r--s--t--0--(-s)-----

When I consider this latter possibility, I just imagine values for r, t and -s so that t is in the middle - for example -6, -1, 4, (so s = -4) or -10, -2, 6 (so s = -6). It's certainly feasible to imagine one of these scenarios within two minutes, provided you look at the problem in a suitable way early on.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
utopian_wanderer wrote:
Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am
On the number line shown, is zero halfway between r and s

Solution:

We need to determine whether zero halfway between r and s. We see that 0 could be in one of the following four places: 1) to the left of r, 2) between r and s, 3) between s and t, 4) to the right of t. We will refer to these four cases as cases 1, 2, 3 and 4, respectively.

Statement One Only:

s is to the right of zero.

This tells us s is positive; however, without knowing anything about r, we can’t determine whether they are opposites. Statement one is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Only:

The distance between t and r is the same as the distance between t and -s.

We see that it can’t be case 1 or 3 since the former case has t further away from -s than it’s from r whereas the latter case has t further away from r than it’s from s. However, it can still be either case 2 or 4. If it’s the former, then yes, not only 0 is between r and s, 0 is exactly halfway between r and s. However, if it’s the latter, then no, because both r and s are less than 0. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statement two, we know it’s either case 2 or 4. However, since from statement one, s is positive, then it must be case 2 (since this case has s positive) and not case 4 (since this case has s negative). From the analysis for statement two, we see that if it is case 2, then 0 is exactly halfway between r and s. The two statements together are sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage