Martha obtained an average score of y in a total of x mandat

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:1 members
Martha obtained an average score of y in a total of x mandatory papers. She also obtained a score of z in an additional optional paper. Does Martha's average score on all the x + 1 papers exceed her average score on the x mandatory papers by more than 50%?

(1) 3x = y
(2) 2z - 3y = xy

What's the best way to determine which statement is sufficient? Can any experts help?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Anil42 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 am
ardz24 wrote:Martha obtained an average score of y in a total of x mandatory papers. She also obtained a score of z in an additional optional paper. Does Martha's average score on all the x + 1 papers exceed her average score on the x mandatory papers by more than 50%?

(1) 3x = y
(2) 2z - 3y = xy

What's the best way to determine which statement is sufficient? Can any experts help?
Let's start by rephrasing the question. If her average score is y on x mandatory papers, the sum of those scores would be yx.
If she receives z on the next paper, she'll now have a total sum of yx + z, and because she's completed another paper, she'll now have x + 1 papers. So her new average will be (yx + z)/(x+1). We want to know if this value is more than 50% greater than her original average of y. In other words we want to know if that new average is greater than 1.5y.

Rephrased Question: Is (yx + z)/(x+1) > 1.5y? Let's clean this up.
Multiply both sides by 2--> 2(yx + z)/(x+1) > 3y?
2yx + 2z > 3y *(x+1)?
2yx + 2z > 3yx + 3y?
2z - 3y > yx?

Statement 1: Nothing about z. Not Sufficient

Statement 2: Well, if 2z - 3y = yx, then we know that the answer to our rephrased question is a definitive NO. So statement 2 alone is sufficient. The answer is B.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

martha

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 am
ardz24 wrote:Martha obtained an average score of y in a total of x mandatory papers. She also obtained a score of z in an additional optional paper. Does Martha's average score on all the x + 1 papers exceed her average score on the x mandatory papers by more than 50%?

(1) 3x = y
(2) 2z - 3y = xy
To simplify the algebra, plug in a value for y and solve for x and z.
Let y=2, implying that 2 is the average score for x papers and that the sum of the scores for x papers = (number of papers)(average score) = (x)(2) = 2x.
For the y=2 average to increase by more than 50%, the new average must be greater than 3.
When an additional paper earns a score of z, the new sum = 2x+z, and the new average for the x+1 papers = (new sum)/(new number of papers) = (2x+z)/(x+1).
Since the answer to the question stem will be YES only if the expression in blue is greater than 3, we get:
(2x + z)/(x+1) > 3
2x + z > 3x + 3
z > x + 3.

Question stem, rephrased:
If y=2, is z > x+3?

Statement 1:
No information about z.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Substituting y=2 into 2z - 3y = xy, we get:
2z - (3*2) = 2x
2z - 6 = 2x
z - 3 = x
z = x+3.
Thus, the answer to the question stem is NO.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3