A salesman sold vacuum cleaners with a special 30-day . . .

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:5 members
A salesman sold vacuum cleaners with a special 30-day, money-back guarantee. He sold a total of T vacuum cleaners at a price of D each. Q of the vacuum cleaners were returned within 30 days, and the salesman returned the money to those people. Which of the following expressions represents the money the salesman got from actual sales (people that kept their vacuum cleaners) as a percentage of the total amount of money that he made before having to make refunds?

A) 100% × TD/QD

B) 100% - Q/TD

C) (100% - (100QD))/TD

D) 100%(TD - QD)/TD

E) 100%(TD - QD)

The OA is D.

I don't know how to set a equation that solves this PS question. Can any expert give me some help? Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by GMATWisdom » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:24 am
M7MBA wrote:A salesman sold vacuum cleaners with a special 30-day, money-back guarantee. He sold a total of T vacuum cleaners at a price of D each. Q of the vacuum cleaners were returned within 30 days, and the salesman returned the money to those people. Which of the following expressions represents the money the salesman got from actual sales (people that kept their vacuum cleaners) as a percentage of the total amount of money that he made before having to make refunds?

A) 100% × TD/QD

B) 100% - Q/TD

C) (100% - (100QD))/TD

D) 100%(TD - QD)/TD

E) 100%(TD - QD)

The OA is D.

I don't know how to set a equation that solves this PS question. Can any expert give me some help? Thanks.
this is straight forward
price received after selling T iems=TD
amount returned for returned items = OD
percentagee of money actually received = 100*(TD-OD)/TD
HENCE OPTION D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am
M7MBA wrote:A salesman sold vacuum cleaners with a special 30-day, money-back guarantee. He sold a total of T vacuum cleaners at a price of D each. Q of the vacuum cleaners were returned within 30 days, and the salesman returned the money to those people. Which of the following expressions represents the money the salesman got from actual sales (people that kept their vacuum cleaners) as a percentage of the total amount of money that he made before having to make refunds?

A) 100% × TD/QD

B) 100% - Q/TD

C) (100% - (100QD))/TD

D) 100%(TD - QD)/TD

E) 100%(TD - QD)

The OA is D.

We can let T = 4, D = 1, Q = 2.

Thus, the money originally made was 4.

After the returns, the money made was 2.

The money made from sales as a percentage of the money made prior to returns was:

2/4 = 50%

Looking at the answer choices D gives us 50%:

100%(4 - 2)/4 = 2/4 = 1/2 = 50%.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage