GPA for a Non Traditional Indian Applicant

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730
I am confused regarding the GPA calculation process for an Indian graduate. I hold a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, degree from a top 20 Indian College and an M.D.(Forensic Pathology) also from a reputable college. I have always been good in my academic work, but if i use the traditional GPA calculation methods (Calculating percentage to GPA) My MBBS and MD Average Percentage of 67.5 (Considered excellent by most Medical standards in India) falls to extremely low levels. It is a well known fact that in India, graduating from a Medical school with anything above 60% is First division and the Toppers in most good institutes get around 72-73% (which would barely be a 3 on the 4 point GPA scale).

I am currently prepping for my GMAT (looking to take it Feb-March 2013 for application in 2013) and am aiming for a 700+ score but am confused whether the ADCOMS of most of the programs i am looking for will understand and know the academic situation is in various countries. I know certain universities do not require the candidate to convert his/her score into GPA but do they look at individual country and course work (engineering vs liberal arts vs medicine vs science for example each has a different scoring pattern in India). I will be looking for consultation once i finalize my application (July - August 2013) but am confused at the moment and it is really freaking me out (Just found out that my academic record which may be considered 90th percentile in India may be consider POOR if converted to the GPA scale based on strict parameters )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_India

Programs i am looking to apply to : (Not in any order)

* Duke Fuqua (Health care MBA)
* Vanderbilt Owen (Healthcare MBA)
* Northwestern kellogs ( Health Enterprise Management)
* Johns Hopkins Carey (Healthcare MBA)
* Any other competitive Healthcare MBA program (needs to be strong in general management and strategy)
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm
Hi Vom,

Just for your information, the weightage given to GMAT/GPA are not more than 20%-25% of the entire application. The most important elements in any b-school applications are essays & interviews which covers more than 60% of the application.

Also what b-school ADCOMS look for is the diversity in the class, what value you will create in the class and how will you contribute to the b-school society. Having said this, it is highly advisable to focus on your application essays. This is where you can demonstrate your leadership qualities, achievements, professional vision and other abilities. A well presented and perfectly written essay is absolutely critical to make a strong case for yourself during the final interview. You can try your chances in B-schools by clicking to the link https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Let me know if you have any other concerns. You can even PM me your number to discuss on your profile or selecting b-schools for you.

Wish you Good Luck for GMAT...

Cheers!!
Neha
https://www.general-ed.com/testimonials

vomhorizon wrote:I am confused regarding the GPA calculation process for an Indian graduate. I hold a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, degree from a top 20 Indian College and an M.D.(Forensic Pathology) also from a reputable college. I have always been good in my academic work, but if i use the traditional GPA calculation methods (Calculating percentage to GPA) My MBBS and MD Average Percentage of 67.5 (Considered excellent by most Medical standards in India) falls to extremely low levels. It is a well known fact that in India, graduating from a Medical school with anything above 60% is First division and the Toppers in most good institutes get around 72-73% (which would barely be a 3 on the 4 point GPA scale).

I am currently prepping for my GMAT (looking to take it Feb-March 2013 for application in 2013) and am aiming for a 700+ score but am confused whether the ADCOMS of most of the programs i am looking for will understand and know the academic situation is in various countries. I know certain universities do not require the candidate to convert his/her score into GPA but do they look at individual country and course work (engineering vs liberal arts vs medicine vs science for example each has a different scoring pattern in India). I will be looking for consultation once i finalize my application (July - August 2013) but am confused at the moment and it is really freaking me out (Just found out that my academic record which may be considered 90th percentile in India may be consider POOR if converted to the GPA scale based on strict parameters )

* Any other competitive Healthcare MBA program (needs to be strong in general management and strategy)
:) :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Most of the B-schools are aware of the percentage/ percentile systems in most of the countries. Since there are large number of applicants from India every year, they would be aware of percentage systems (an absolute system)in liberal art courses etc. and the GPA (which is a relative system). Nevertheless, if you get any relevant space in the application, you can always mention that you were in top x% in your class.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TTT

by AvaniAlla » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:26 am
Hey, i have done my MBBS from India and I'm applying for MBA Healthcare this year. I have few questions regarding GPA.

I scored 64.4% but I failed in one subject once. My transcript says second division and you can see 2 attempts next to Anatomy.

I tried trial scoring of WES and i got 3.0 GPA and it didn't have the option for failing.

How much GPA did you get in the end? Did you use WES or ECE or spent hung else? Is there a different calculator for medical students?

I'll appreciate your help. Thanks in advance

="vomhorizon"]I am confused regarding the GPA calculation process for an Indian graduate. I hold a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, degree from a top 20 Indian College and an M.D.(Forensic Pathology) also from a reputable college. I have always been good in my academic work, but if i use the traditional GPA calculation methods (Calculating percentage to GPA) My MBBS and MD Average Percentage of 67.5 (Considered excellent by most Medical standards in India) falls to extremely low levels. It is a well known fact that in India, graduating from a Medical school with anything above 60% is First division and the Toppers in most good institutes get around 72-73% (which would barely be a 3 on the 4 point GPA scale).

* Any other competitive Healthcare MBA program (needs to be strong in general management and strategy)[/quote]